1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches AM1 Kabini desktop range

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Apr 2014.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

With Mantle lowering CPU use I would want to put in a half decent GPU.

2. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Got to be honest I think that would be a huge mistake. Who knows how much support mantle will get. You'd be much better off throwing extra money at a better CPU than trying to use this for a decent gaming rig.

3. AlienwareAndy

I didn't want it as a decent gaming rig, just the option of some light gaming. IE - Indie stuff.

You could also make a Steambox with this CPU, given that most of the steam OS games are very easy to run.

4. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

just got my 5350 and my asrock am1h-itx can wait to build a steam box with it.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Shouldn't need a discrete for that; AMD claims playable framerates for indie titles at 1080p - outperforming a Celeron G1610 and Nvidia G210 by a factor of two in most cases. Titles mentioned in the slide deck include Lego Marvel Super Heroes on high settings, Bastion on high settings, Minecraft on max settings and Guacamelee on max - all at 1080p.
    Well, apart from Metro: Last Light. But it's funny you should mention Valve's Linux distro: the reviewer bundle comes with instructions on how to get the chips working under SteamOS...

Last edited: 11 Apr 2014
  6. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Cool. What case and PSU did you go for?

7. AlienwareAndy

TBH Gareth from what I've seen most of the SteamOS stuff should be easy to run, given it's mostly Indie.

I was actually quite taken aback by how little modern gamers demand from games. I've just had my lady's daughter over (21) and her fiancee and they are both addicted to really basic titles.

Me? I'm a graphics/core whore haha. I've been into gaming since the late 70s and I like seeing it pushed and progressed. But these Indie titles seem to be attracting an audience that don't really give a crap about graphics..

I do need a PC for the bedroom. Currently I'm running an Xbox (original, soft modded) with XBMC and a load of emulators (playing Mario 64 on an Xbox still makes me smile) but I would be tempted to get rid of it for a cheap PC.

Yeah, gotta say, I'm very, very interested in this offering. Would be nice to build a tiny PC I can take over to mum's too.

Edit. I still want to see what these CPUs can do with a discrete GPU.

As crazy as it sounds I have this feeling that they may actually surprise people.

My hex cored Westmere is locked at 1.7ghz but from the data I've collected (BF4, Crysis 2 uber textures etc) it comes out fighting with a GTX 480 in it....

8. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Right now I am going to use my bench, and corisair 650 w. I am looking to build a slim console if my wife lets me. If not I am going with a cooler master 110 or 130. Both will aloud the use of 160mm psu.