1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches standalone Wraith Max RGB cooler

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 27 Jul 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Well how good is it? Does it perform far better than the $30 212 or the H7? It must be extremely good to command $60 in an already highly competitive area.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've built a few systems with them in the office and I'm a big fan. 100x easier to install than a 212 evo. Also RGB.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

£60 seems pretty steep imho unless it performs remarkably well. As said above, the HSF market is really competitive and there are loads of solid options at that price point... Let's have a review, please!

5. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

I've really like this cooler and it seems to keep things quite cool despite overclocking, although £60 does seem steep - especially since there are some great AM4 coolers available for £40-£50. Although as above, a review would be good - if performance is comparable, I could see people paying more for the 'canon' Ryzen cooler which also has teh LGBz!11!!.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

As ever, there are a lot of factors which determine how good a cooler is: cooling ability, noise, size, ease of mounting, price, and "extras"... I would love to see a review of this unit as I'd be very interested to see how it stacks up against the (substantial) competition.

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

The heatsink looks very similar to the stock one that came with my old Phenom II 940, just with a fancy fan on top.

8. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

The price reflects the premium some people are willing to pay in order to have a cohesive AMD theme to their build, I guess.:confused:

9. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

To me, the pricing indicated a marketing move more so than a desire to sell the cooler. The cooler now has an actual value of $60 rather than something that came with the CPU, so their processors including the cooler is worth more now (in a sense).

Last edited: 28 Jul 2017
  10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Well, I'm impressed with my Wraith Spire... provided you make sure the case gets adequate airflow (an issue in the Raijintek Metis, as Bit point out in their original review!) it keeps the CPU pretty under control. Of course, that said I'm not overclocking...

If the Wraith Max is half as easy to install as the Spire, and cools better... it might be worth it. Particularly if you want to R!G!B! your rig. That said, if I could fit a D15 in my Metis, I would have done. :lol::naughty:

Tags: Add Tags