1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD's R7xx series GPUs to support DisplayPort

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Maybe your right Tim about the inter-GPU communication bridge(s) for the GPUs being the reason for no PCI-E 2.0, which could potentially help cut cost and draw less power? Idk really, but I think your hypothesis is probably right, but is it too late for them to include PCI-E 2.0 because I thought it would be the next standard? Also, do you think this choice will hampen performance? or will the proprietary bridge connector perform just as good? Also, I think the 55nm GPU (OC will probably be pretty good) would probably be a good sacrafice to PCI-E 2.0.......also what does Dispaly Port offer over HDMI 1.3 or even DVI?

Last edited: 27 Jul 2007
  3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i am ok with this as long as they don't pull another X2900.....

4. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

*sits on hands waiting for some juicy hardware to play Crisis on*

5. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I can agree on the adaptation of DisplayPort. PCIe 2.0, not so much. AFAIK, there aren't any breakthroughs in PCIe 2.0 that would help high-end cards to achieve comparable performance to if they just drew more power from external connections. Bandwidth-wise, we still haven't broken the AGP 8x interface's bandwidth limitation to the system bus, so there shouldn't be any substantiated gain over the first PCIe either.

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

DXR, the card to me was great for the price over here in the USA and also there was no good comparison to the 8800 because every game that was benchmarked was DX9 based and the 2900 is meant for DX10, and more heavily focused on shaders; which again there wasn't a good game to compare it on and there still isn't until a completely DX10-based game like Crysis debuts.....but I must agree that the specs, the price and the concluding benchmarks did/do make it seem mediocre especially outside of the US in terms of pricing...so I hear you...but it really is a great card deep down....

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

good day for amd i just hope that something appears before my b'day in november

8. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

So it looks like they only plan a refresh of the 2900 and a (by the sounds of it) low end "2000" part for 2007? shame :( for us consumers the market on the whole desperately needs real competition to Nvida, otherwise prices will remain well above the previous norms and Nvidia won't feel pressure to bring anything new to the table either.

Tags: Add Tags