1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Apple. I think you can guess the rest.

Discussion in 'General' started by benji2412, 5 Mar 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

New iPhone 16GB someone I play football kicks my hand whille im texting like a prat.

Drops on a carpet floor.

Shatters the screen.

£140 quote to repair by apple.

Fort Knox to repair myself and voids the warranty.

I hate Apple.

Always will.

For shoddy build quality and unreasonable prices.

Last thing I buy from them ever.

I'm so angry.

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

small electronics like phones are always very tricky to repair yourself, and always void the warranty.

what are you angry about here, that apple won't repair accidental damage to your phone for free, or that fixing it yourself will void the warranty? either way, good luck finding another company that will do either.

bad luck on the phone; be more careful next time. for the record i've dropped my iphone many times onto hard floors and never had anything break on it; there must have been something in or under the carpet to cause a stress point. either way, you drop a shiny, you take a risk it'll break.

3. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Fod, meet Nokia and Samsung... :lol:

4. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

You dropped in onto carpet and the screen shattered? I've dropped my G1 off a scaffold podium onto solid concrete and barely scratched the case... more than once aswell.

I assume as your quoting repair costs from Apple themselves that your on PAYG, silly idea buying a stupidly expensive phone without some form on insurance in the first place.

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

+1. You'd be complaining too if Apple artificially inflated the price even more to subsidize the cost of people smashing their hugely expensive phones and expecting Apple to cover it. If it was expensive, insure it. You do sound to have been unlucky - have dropped mine repeatedly onto much harder substances than carpet (concrete, for example) and gotten away with just minor scratches - but such is the nature of big, glass, touch screens. They are fragile and I wouldn't be surprised if I break mine at some point, given the way I treat it.

6. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

I've got an iPhone and had one since 2G now on 3G, dopped the thing hundreds of times! I pay £11.99 a month for accidental damage £30 excess.

plan to fail, fail to plan!

7. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

1) 'prat' being the correct word
    2) hey I've dropped mine on a hard floor and it has survived. Then again I have a leather case for mine to absorb impacts. What case did you buy to protect your phone? You did buy one? ... hello? ... are you still there? hello? ...
    3) wow unlucky! Just think ... leather case. Silicone works very well too. There are so many cases to choose from.
    4) Sounds about right ... seeing as you DIDNT HAVE INSURANCE ... 'prat'? I don't have insurance either so don't feel too bad about it ... but ... then again I have a fkin good case and I'm not a 'prat' with my iPhone.
    5) They love you.
    6) I love you too. you made my day.
    7) you wish that statement was true! lol maybe you want to go and research military-grade phones?
    8) Probably a good idea to steer clear seeing as you are incapable of owning an expensive phone without breaking it. I've got an old Nokia 3310 that'd suit you.
    9) With yourself or your 'prat' mate?

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Screen breaking on phone when dropped is absolutely unrelated with the manufacturer. Some times you can throw the "weakest" of models around without breaking them, but sometimes even the rugged models break from reasonable hits.

Why should the manufacturer or in fact anyone cover the damage when the user fails? I don't get the concept. If my phone broke after dropping it, I wouldn't blame anyone but myself.

EDIT: woah turned out a bit harsh maybe, but fail rants just tend to set me off.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It would seem like common sense that one shouldn't need insurance for something like a phone. Beyond things such as build quality, modern phones lack the basic design features to make them resistant to damage. Example: cases. The fact that many people, such as Ape, use and so strongly advocate cases highlights a striking flaw on Apple's part. This goes for all gadgets, handheld gaming devices and cameras come to mind. This is not to say that all such products should be built like tanks, phones simply don't face great risks when used properly and are not hard to protect. Any and every phone should be able to routinely withstand a fall from 7' (maximum usage height: tall person drops phone while talking) to the hardest of typical surfaces (concrete/stone) and withstand natural elements (basically rain, this is currently standard). Since these devices should be able to withstand these rigors by design they should be automatically covered by the manufacturer (though there should never be a need for repairs since they should never break in ways that are covered, as such it will not raise prices). The only need for insurance should be users who feel their uses will place the phone in greater risk situations than the ones stated above.

Now looking at the OP's sitation: Over 7'? No, unless it was punted way up in the air and he didn't say so. Abnormally hard/rough/sharp surface? No, it's carpet. Extreme exposure? He has mentioned no submersion or anything. His phone should not have broken, as such this is an anomoly that should be covered by the manufacturer.

Of course that is all my opinion, which basically means it's nothing on the internet :) more of my opinion, it's generally foolish to buy an iPhone in the first place. Apple obviously doesn't have the same idea about phone design and ruggedness as I do. Buying a product with a flush screen is just begging for it to be broken. If Apple simply recessed the screen a little and protected the exterior with a dampening material like silicon it would be generally protected from falls on smooth surfaces, but of course that would ruin the sleek look.

10. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

The screen unit is more than the LCD itself as well, it lifts out like a slab with a bunch of other stuff attached (including the cover which you smashed). It's replaced as a whole and is quite expensive.

11. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

£11.99 a month??? so nearly £144 a year? more than a screen a year by ops price

12. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

For the record, i have insurance I'm not stupid. But why the hell should I foot the bill when I wasn't the egit that knocked it out of my hand. Note at this point I play indoor football and I was standing at the reception - so he shouldn't have been arsing round with a ball.

I've had the damn thing less than two weeks. I've dropped phones a thousand times and thanks to this incident I'm back to my trusty w810i that I've had since sept 2006. The phone still works but tbh the fact its made of glass, or something very similar is annoying. This is why I'm annoyed at a £140 quote. Thats a ridiculous amount of money, its typical apple ripping people off for repairs. Did you know they make the quote higher if its a 32GB version?

So yeh, this is the last time I buy an apple product that isn't an iPod. I ALWAYS look after my shinies, I had a 8GB nano from april 07 - oct 09 and there was not one scratch on it, nor my iPod touch I replaced it with. Stupid thing also is that the phone was in a protective case. You should see the screen, its an absolute mess, looks like a frozen pond when someone has just walked over it enough to shatter ALL the ice.

13. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

So your phone is covered by insurance but YOU refuse to pay the excess and then whinge when apple quote £140? come on a little common sense wouldnt go amiss :sigh:

14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I think you have been very unlucky but in no way is this apples fault. If you have insurance I dont see what the big problem is. Someone kicked the hand that was holding a phone causing you to drop it causing the phone to break. Now look at it again. Who is to blame?

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I guess this means that after you broke your phone I'm the stupid one for I have no insurance on my phone? :D

ROFL I know it's just a thing to say, but that caught my eye :)

16. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

My old iPod video from 2006 has yet to fail, let alone die on me, even after repeatedly falling onto various surfaces,i.e. tiled floor, road, dirt, you name it, varying height from shoulder to maybe waist height. The only piece of electronics that I treasure.

17. LithiumDesign

LithiumDesign 3dsMax User

I love it when people come here for sympathy and get the opposite, lol.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

...And that's enough of that.

To be honest £140 for a repair like that isn't that bad. It's not like it's a simple part to replace or even a simple part.

If you have insurance, use it. That's what it's there for. You got unlucky dropping a phone onto a relatively hard surface (when you say it was carpet I have no doubt it was office-type carpet rather than cushy shag-pile), sometimes these things happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.