1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Apple tries harder to prevent upgrades

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 16 May 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

You'd have to be a chump to buy Macs these days.

3. msm722

msm722 What's a Dremel?

Yea I can't understand why upgrading something like a HDD should be discouraged.

4. xs_damage

xs_damage What's a Dremel?

wow. The most unreliable component in the machine can no longer be easily replaced. Apple are really testing customer tollarance now.

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

LOL just another step to control you even more by Apple.

next step is to charge you for conencting to wi-fi. "Want to connect to wi-fi sir then you gotta pay us as your not using an airport product"

forget the hassle buy a cheaper better PC that allows for such things.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

iMac are not really designed for self servicing, so it's no surprise.

5600rpm? they use Delta fans or what? it's mostly laptop components FFS, there simply is no need. oh wait, iMac designed for the eyes, not for practicality.

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

This is an odd move, but they've never really made it easy to access the hard drives anyway, especially in laptops.

8. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

The real price of fashion.

Jehla likes this.
  9. Xyllian

Xyllian What's a Dremel?

The answer is monies, Apple charges three times the amount than a etailer for identical hdds, its a cheap move by apple, i like their handhelds and top laptops but other then that it is pure crappolution.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hence the reason I don't buy apple products. I want to choose how I use the product not be told that I have to download from here and use this piece of software or this sim card with what ever deal we want you to take. Their products aren't that good that I can't get what I want elsewhere usually cheaper and better.

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

It's probably a blower, like those seen in graphics cards. Higher RPMs for the same throughput - and easy to make run fast.

I'm not sure this will entirely cut off upgrades. Apple authorized repairers can order official Apple parts such as hard drives extremely easily - it may result in higher prices, but probably not much more.

It's a shame though - I just replaced my Macbook Pro hard drive with a Crucial SSD, and it's given all the improvements I expected. It wouldn't be nice if Apple were to stop this.

Jamie - What laptop have you used? My MBP 2010 13 inch, once I removed the back panel, the hard drive was locked in an anti-shock bracket by four screws - which were easily removed. Yes, there were a couple of Torx screws, but they were easily sorted.

[​IMG]

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that's the issue people are commenting on: it's about making sure all material comes out of their marked-up source, rather than directly from actual component manufactures.

even blower does not need to be that fast. 5870 blow at around 3600 at highest speed. gtx580 blow at around 3000 at its firmware limited 85%. (from personal experience of owning them). normal fans are much better, but they cannot fit it inside a the slim design, so instead of changing product appearance, they chose to use inferior component. (inferior in terms of heatsink size, thus require higher airflow)

13. Rustypouch

Rustypouch What's a Dremel?

God no!

I'm not surprised by this move to be honest. Most people don't really give a toss about what rights they give away these days. I'm not even going to begin the Anti-Apple comments, I'm just so bored of that debate now. They are the Marmite of the Computing World, you either "love it or hate it".

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

haven't they also started using non-standard screws to stop you opening them up?

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Hahahahahahahaha.

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

17. TheBoyBest

TheBoyBest What's a Dremel?

I fix notebooks, desktops and Macs on a component level basis and have to admit to not being a great fan of Apple related products, I can confirm that Apple have started using custom pentalobe screws as well. People seem so keen to buy into the brand, typical of modern living. Style over substance - though I must admit I think my custom built desktop PC is way nicer than something Apple could throw together.

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Oh surprise surprise.

19. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Fixed XD

Everyone is free to buy what they want, but I can't imagine myself buying a PC that I couldn't even upgrade with a ram stick or a new HDD.

20. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Thats been Apples mission since day one. They are the PC version of consoles. You want an upgrade, bin your old machine and buy a new one.

They also try to slow down progression. Look at the IPADS, was there really a need to not provide mini USB sockets and other common standard functionality you would expect now as a minimmum?

Its so they can sell you a new version every year with a tiny upgrade. If you have a IPAD, is there really a need for you to trade in for a IPAD2?

Tags: Add Tags