1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aqua-Computer Flow sensor high flow NEXT tips?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by kosch, 22 Mar 2021.

1. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

My Aqua-Computer Flow sensor high flow NEXT just arrived (thanks highflow.nl!)

Anyone else using one of these and have any tips for pre/post installation? I'm doing a 16mm hard line build from the ground up and this was my 2nd to last component I'm waiting on.

2. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi kosch, I'v ordered myself an Aquacomputer high-flow sensor (not the NEXT one but same brand) among other items from Aquacomputer, in a way to have a fully controlled loop with these products (an old dream that comes to life :grin:) ... Are you also using an Aquaero ?
    I realised most videos about Aquacomputer products, were particulary focusing on the look of it, instead of the installation tips... I am actually scouring over the Aquacomputer English forum, witch is tiny compared to the German one, but I don't really find my happiness there neither :rollingeyes:
    Did you finish your loop ? and if ever, have you considered to talk about it here? I would apreciate any informations ... :grin:

Last edited: 13 Jun 2021
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I haven't used one of those specifically, but I think there's 2 aspects that you need to consider. First is fairly obvious in that you're going to want to put it somewhere you can see it properly, second thing I'd thing about is how you're going to manage the cables and what cables you'll be using. Whether you're connecting is to the motherboard using usb or to an aquero using aquabus, you need the cable to be able to reach and not be obvious. Are you also going to have temp and flow sensor output cables for the motherboard so it can be picked up in other software? Are you connecting any additional LEDs?

I would probably design the loop on paper and then find a place where it could go. You can always amend the loop slightly if need be. Also remember it doesn't necessarily have to be in the middle of a tubing run. It could connect to a component using a male-male g1/4 adapter. For instance if you're using a vertical gpu, you could have a 90adapter coming out the right hand port, male-male adapter into that, then flow sensor, then fitting into tubing.
    [​IMG]
    Cables could then be tucked behind the gpu out of sight and routed from there

kim likes this.
  4. dan297

dan297 Modder

I recently added one to my CNC server / spindel cooling PC.
    Most importantly is horizontal orientation and at least 4-5 inch straight tube/pipe run before and after the sensor. And certainly no 90deg fittings directly at the sensor. At least this is what Aquacomputer recommends.
    This already limits your possible locations in the loop tremendously.
    You can do it, of course, like in the build above, but the flow readings are not accurate, due to the turbulence caused by the bend...
    So it depends what your preference is. A shiny device in good vision, or accurate flow reading.

I personally don't give a f&#k if I have 60, 80, 100 l/h or whatever flow, as long as there is flow at all.
    It has absolutely no bearing on the loop temp.
    More important is that the sensor can give a warning if something is clogged.
    Or indicating flow degradation over time, telling you something will clog sooner or later. Whether the absolute value was correct at the beginning or not is irrelevant for this kind of monitoring.
    If this is good enough for you, you can put it wherever you want, like above. Or even in the back of the case and use the Aquasuite for monitoring. No issues.
    But in case you are interested in real values, your options are extremely limited...

Last edited: 20 Jun 2021
    Top Nurse, kim and The_Crapman like this.
  5. The_Crapman

This should be mandatory reading before buying and installing a flow sensor. The are so many posts on Facebook along the lines of "is my flow rate ok?". Who knows!? What's more important is your loop temp, fan speed and core temps. Keep your loop below 40C and you can't really go wrong.

dan297 likes this.
  6. kosch

Not yet I was waiting for the Active Backplate from EKWB to become available for my 3090 Suprim X, which I think might be quite a long wait. If there wasnt a GPU shortage on I would have already swapped GPU's around.

@dan297 Yes that is exactly the reason I bought it so I could record trends in the flow and get an alert should it suddenly deviate from what the average/norm is.

kim likes this.
  7. kosch

Keeping the loop below 40c that is just for a particular type of tubing?

This august bank holiday weekend I finally was able to get a 3 day run at it (Thanks to my wife for taking to the kids to her parents!)

3 days was barely enough to strip and clean my current system and then start actually getting down to seeing how it would all goto together. Wish I had bought some more tubing as the one bend I did is a bit of a mutant. But not bad for my first attempt.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/68E9f5Y8UgkHeXaQ8

8. The_Crapman

No I would use that as a general rule. It will certainly help if using petg to stop deformation or leaching plasticiser from soft tube, but also for longevity of coolants, o-rings, anything really. Also will play a part in prevention of galvanic corrosion.

9. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Got the aquacomputer high flow next on order and want the cable that can shut down the pc incase of trouble it costs £3 and £10 for delivery.

10. ursalacim

ursalacim What's a Dremel?

Hi guys! Thanks for the tips!

11. Risky

Risky Modder

That is so wonderful, I am out of touch on w/c tech but I always liked AC for their innovation.