1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you going to get vista?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by I'm_Not_A_Monster, 18 Jan 2007.

?

Are you going to get Vista?

1. the day it comes out

19.0%
  2. never

4.8%
  3. i'll wait a while

57.1%
  4. hello ubuntu!

7.9%
  5. hello OSx!

2.4%
  6. i'll download the torrent

7.1%
  7. don't know

1.6%
  1. NoMercy

NoMercy What's a Dremel?

I only moved to XP last year, I'll definitely wait a bit... not even considering it before I see decent graphics cards+drivers (given I only run XP for games)... and probably plump for a OEM of VistaHP since I can't see where the extra value of ultimate is and with OEM prices you only save £8 with VistaHB.

Always OEM, if I want to move to another computer or upgrade the mobo, it's still cheaper to buy a second copy of Vista.

2. imkeller

imkeller What's a Dremel?

ill get home premium when i build my next system. could be a while tho

3. IXON

IXON What's a Dremel?

Got vista ultimate here but sticking with XP till all drivers ect have had time to mature abit.

4. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

That sounds like the best idea, im gonna wait a while until i update my machine then go all out! just gotta start saving!

5. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Way ahead of you, got it on here via msdnaa, about mid january i think...it's quite nice I gotta admit..

6. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

I'll be getting either the vista home premium or the ultimate version when i build my next computer in about 3-6 months. I cant decide if i want to go with OEM or retail.

7. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

It's a bit off topic but Vista just amazed me. I was adding folders to Windows Photo Gallery, it recognized that the pictures were taken by Fujifilm cam, notified about update. I clicked it opened a site with Fujifilm RAW, I clicked and it installed the update so now I can see my RAW files.

Little things make me happy.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You gaved me the idea of trying my old canon powershot A75 under Vista RC2.
    And when I tried it. WOW. I didn't even need drivers. I can download/upload pictures now. And it acts like a removable drive (but you have a camera icon).
    Under XP it does that, but you need to install the drivers at least, and it doesn't allow you to Upload a picture. (probably camera driver is blocking it). As some might say, why would you upload a picture. Well I don't have a memory card reader, so if I want go develop my picture at some place, without needed me to burn a CD. I can edit my pictures, and upload them back the camera memory stick, and off I go to develop them.

9. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I'm definitely buying Vista Ultimate, demo'ed some laptops and desktops at Costco today, I really liked it. I think it's worth the bucks and Microsoft seems to have done a pretty good job on the OS.

10. bassboi72

bassboi72 My dremel is broken.

I'm thinking of getting it, but I'm not sure on how it'll run on my system.

I'm looking at the Home Premium version, and my system specs are:

P4 2.0
    400 FSB
    768MB RAM
    GF mx400 w/ 64MB

:| anyone care to share their thoughts?

11. GoodBytes

Video card will be an issue.
    On my second computer (older) Geforce FX 5900 with 128MB of RAM, the interface is not really smooth...
    Yet, the OS runs fine. I have the same quantity of RAM as you, and similar CPU (AMD Athlon XP 2500+)

When I disabled Aero transparency, then everything was smooth. Yet in you case, I think you should use the Windows Classic skin...

To be sure: Test it!
    http://www.nzone.com/content/nzone/srl/nzone_srl.asp?gameid=3596
    It will tell you if you pass minimal, recommended, and Nvidia "Optimal" recommendation.
    On my new PC, I have a Geforce 6600 GT with 128 MB of RAM PCI-Express (as temporary, as I was waiting for the G80). I fail to pass optimal, dies the a lack of RAM on my video card (256MB would have done the trick). YET When I tested RC2 on my new computer, I find it smooth (I was unable to test games, as proper drivers did not exist)

12. bassboi72

That's fine if I'd have to use the Windows Classic skin...

will I be able to use the sidebar also?

Thanks for the reply btw, :)

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i already have two copies of Business edition (thanks, msdnaa), but i think i'll wait for sp1 before i actually go ahead and install it.

14. GoodBytes

15. bassboi72

yeesh... thats kinda, fugly. LOL.

also, I hear that Vista incorporates some kind of indexing type stuff... like, to make your PC faster the more you use it...

is this correct, too?

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Yes and no. Yes, vista has a search indexer which index all your documents and metadata (or anything else you specifiy) to make searches ultra fast (and I mean fast). It won't speed up your computer in any way apart from the searching.

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

It indexes your files into a index file which makes searching a helluva lot quicker. XP does this as well iirc, just not by default, and the Vista search is much improved.

edit:beaten by a teddy bear

<A88>

18. bassboi72

Ahh, alright... so it's just searching that's speedier... I seem to recall reading somewhere that this indexing stuff was incorporated in the whole OS, thus making the computer faster as you use it...

seems either I interpreted it wrong, or they had the wrong idea of the indexing service...

My sister just recently bought a PC, which came with Vista... I like how in the media player, when you search for a song via text, it does it in real time... like in Winamp when you press the "j" key, you can type a song you want to hear and it'll narrow it down with every character you enter..

I guess it's not worth wiping my HD of XP Pro and installing Vista Home Premium, eh?

19. GoodBytes

wikipedia says:

Read all about all the new vista features:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

Last edited: 9 Feb 2007
  20. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...