1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Arma II DLC announced - the Brits are coming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 23 Jul 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

soooo you can install this on either ARMA2 or ARMA2 Arrowhead just fine, right?

nice... might finally just buy arrowhead + this....

4. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

That's surprisingly reasonable...?

5. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Yes, it works with either version of Arma II.

6. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

It's mostly traced from a lot of the stuff that's already out there in the community, notably the PUKF stuff, it's also not very realistic (a mixture of obsolete or bizarre weapon optics with futuristic vehicles etc), but other than those flaws it looks pretty tasty. Have to say I'd really prefer BIS to put a bit more research in, or at least if they are putting the research in then stick to it. If people wanted Call of Duty they'd be playing Call of Duty, but Arma is meant to be a simulator.

7. WarMadMax

WarMadMax What's a Dremel?

rule britania :D

long as we dont have to play with the original SA80 we'll be fine, don't want to spend most of the fire fight clearing jams or putting mags back in after they've fallen out... lol

8. dragonthc

dragonthc What's a Dremel?

why publish DLC for a game which seriously lacks the polish to provide a rewarding play experience?

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Err not quite.

10. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

not... following.... what you're trying to say?

its a great game AFAIK. very rewarding too. just dont expect it to be CallOfDuty or Battlefield or shits like that.

heck, pulling a plan that falls into places is very rewarding in ARMA. if you can actually pull one off.

11. bbshammo

bbshammo What's a Dremel?

I totally see his point.

ARMA2 is still bugged, seriously.

It's as though BIS just have very low standards when it comes to polishing their efforts, and just don't really care that much about quality.

eg/ The default fps view in the cockpit of the Apache in the SP campaign sometimes fixes on the pilots knees, and you have to force look with Alt.

The levels still look like they were thrown together by amateurs, no idea of what to do next, or where to go, just trial and error until you get it.

The voice acting is beyond laughable.

The AI path-finding is ridiculous, more often than not; your guys just running into your field of fire, or a LB UAV going nuts and flying around in circles instead of going to the next waypoint, or an A10 air strike flying straight into the mountain...

... And so on, and so on.

Still, I love it though because of its multi-player side and mission editor.

Shame really, because the slopiness still makes BIS look like a bunch of noobs, who after all this time since the original OFP STILL haven't got it.

I won't pay for the DLC either, unless I can have a hard copy.

I don't trust any company to exist forever.

New content at a fair price is fine, just let us choose the format that suites us best.

If any other company even bothered to match BIS on the realism front, and just spend a tiny amount on polish and quality, BIS would be non-existent very fast.

12. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The thing with Arma 2s bugs is that they are basically attempting to create a large realistic space in a video game, this is pretty much unprecedented. Some games attempt to simulate certain elements of reality, like physics and so forth, but they do it on a really small scale. I mean you could lose the average game level in a forestry block of Arma 2. So you've got that ambition first and foremost, but past that they are actually trying to go beyond just making a world simulator to making it a world where people are charging around shooting at each other with automatic weapons. In terms of the ambition and complexity of the project it is quite easily beyond what any other developer is even willing to attempt, let alone succeed with.

In short I suppose what I'm saying is that when a small company attempts what pretty much everybody else has written off as either impossible or at best impractical and not cost effective, expect some rough edges. It's a bit sad really that it's fallen to a tiny outfit in the Czech Republic to really push the boundaries of PC gaming when the vast majority of developers are phoning it in.

13. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

The thing is, considering the open nature of the content it's hard to polish it to the same degree as something like COD, if you play the ARMA 2 campaign mow after patches it's fine. Yes the voice acting isn't great, but it is on the fly, it's way more detailed than other games.

Other games may be more polished, but no other game is as realistic as ARMA 2 and between the highly polished MW2 and ARMA 2 which is really better?

14. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Arma 2 by a full clip

BiS is a small group of developers but the scale of Arma 2 is epic. Small studios make the best games as developers are more involved in the process thus making it special to them because this ONE game is their life.

You think big studios really care, NO because at big studios it's just work "Well I did my part now to go work on this game and this game and then work on the sequel to the first game". Gotta keep the stock high by pumping out games so the publisher can have his Walmart shelf space.

15. bbshammo

bbshammo What's a Dremel?

When you ask if they care, then I think you need to be more specific; care about what exactly? Fulfilling the expectations of their customers? Over-engineering/polishing things?

The issues I raise have been there since OFP, ARMA, ARMA2, and now OA.

The fact that they persist makes it more than reasonable to conclude that BIS aren't as bothered about truly finishing a product as other teams are.

Size of the team seems irrelevant to me too as how many mods have you come across that are in a different league to this in terms of polish? Red Orchestra anyone? I couldn't think of a more appropriate comparable.

I hear all the excuses but such things are acceptable after the first attempt.

When it keeps happening time after time, it becomes endemic to their way of working.

imho, it's borderline acceptable, ONLY because there's no other option.

I probably play 90% of ARMA/2/OA online in Hold Location mode, playing "Berzerk" maps, and the level of polish and thought present in these bedroom coded maps are a world apart from the official ones bundled with the game!

16. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Can we get some kind of active GUI on this game and kill all the keys. So frustrating when u have to consult the manual every 10 seconds and get shot while you're looking.

17. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

What are you looking for?

18. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Huzzah! British accents in games often feel more immersive to me because from my point of view they are 'real' accents that I hear in real life not American from tv and film

19. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

AARGHHHH DLC u suck sweaty nut sacks.

Why was this not in Arrowhead?

20. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Well said bread man.

Tags: Add Tags