1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ASRock details next-gen A-Style Purity Sound tech

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 May 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Pretty sure I used to build circuits with NE5532 back in the 80's. Not exactly an expensive opamp at less than £1.

My Auzentech X-Meridian 2G has better opamps.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Surely most EMI noise will come from the motherboard side of the chip rendering the shield useless?

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

this is pure marketing .... better buy a dedicated USB DAC with head-amp (well, it's not the same price).

5. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Hopefully bit-tech can get one of these boards and put those claims to the test?

6. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

Am I detecting a hint of cynicism Mr Halfacree?

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seem like better on board audio is being push by a lot of manufactures of late. Gigabyte is also releasing details of there AMP-UP on board audio, with changeable op-amp and creative based hardware.

Last edited: 3 May 2013
  8. GuilleAcoustic

Sound quality is not only about DAC and I/V stage. You need a great power circuitry (L-C Pi filtering, etc.), efficient and smart grounding, etc. This will be a small improvement, but will still be far from high quality audio.

9. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

"Ti NE5532 headset amplifier" << Sales bollocks. 5532 is a very bog standard low-cost op-amp.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

From me? Shurely shome mishtake. ;)
    I think ASRock's point is that it has a *separate* amplifier for the headphones, not that the amplifier itself is anything special. I say "I think," because it's not being terribly clear on *why* A-Style Purity Sound is better than all the rest.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Every time i read A-Style, i cant help thinking it 's some new line in ladies fashion :)

12. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Maybe, but can you even name the op-amps used in the motherboards around your house now? Sure, Burr-Browns are nice, but odds are good what most motherboards are using are some $.05 junk. (Not that I'm defending ASRock, but any step up in onboard quality is good by me, since I'm too cheap to splash out on a discrete card.)

Also, no love for Asus having hopped on (or possibly started) the better-onboard-audio bandwagon? Wasn't it a year or so ago they started bringing out some ROG boards with an isolated audio plane and a corner of the board where all the audio hardware was gathered, with a fairly sizable trace-free gap isolating it from the rest of the board?

13. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

This board seems rather pointless overall... it's never going to outdo the high end sound cards in the market, and for normal people highend mobos already had a more than decent audio feedback for movies/gaming/music/w/e. This is a device that would only matter to audiophiles and audiophiles ALREADY OWN THE SOUND CARDS.... if they make a new system with this board, they would simply transfer their already owned epic sound card to the pci slots and use that... they would never even bother with onboard when they know it wont match up.... so yeah, not sure who this is marketed at.

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Maybe they should have used the new OPA1662 amps from TI.

But I would be very impressed if they had used BurBrown amps.

15. Gareth Halfacree

[QUOTE='[USRF]But I would be very impressed if they had used BurBrown amps.[/QUOTE]I'm buying the first motherboard to use thermionic valves. Plus a windowed case.

16. GuilleAcoustic

I'm buying the first motherboard to use thermionic valves. Plus a windowed case.[/QUOTE]

Tubes needs very good shielding and an almost perfect volatges, even the position and orientation of each chokes toward the others is important .... this is so pointless inside a computer case.

The PSU is the most important stage inside an high grade audio amp, and this is even more important when using a valve to amplify the audio signal.

17. Gareth Halfacree

T'was a joke, lad, a joke. Although anyone serious about valve amplification can enjoy modern features with glowing glass thanks to Samsung.

Either that, or just build the entire damn computer from valves. (Note: this, too, is a joke, as well as being entirely possible.)

18. GuilleAcoustic

I'm a tube lovers and rush in every time I read such sentence :D ... :lol::lol::lol: ... AOpen made a motherboard using valves (that's why I over reacted :p)

[​IMG]

19. Gareth Halfacree

I... I have no words. I made what I thought was an obviously ridiculous suggestion and it turns out to be a real product. Right, stop the planet, I wanna get off.

20. GuilleAcoustic

I so understand you :wallbash:. Technology is full of ridiculous implementations :waah: