1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS P5K & Arctic cooler pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by supertaz81, 27 Jun 2007.

1. supertaz81

supertaz81 What's a Dremel?

Anyone else got this combo in their rig?

I am just posting to let yo know that is doesn't fit all that well.

The fan on the Arctic cooler pro sits on the heatsink on the board. I had to rob my missus' nail file to file away some of the fan case so it sat away from the heatsink.

Just a heads up for buyers :)

2. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Is the board any good as it seems like a nice board?

3. supertaz81

seems good enough for what i use it. I am not really confident enough to try overclocking yet, seens its a new rig, and there really is no need atm. Everything runs stable, not had any crashes yet, and runs quite cool. I have 3 SATA devices running on it, and data transfer is quick. BIOS is a bit confusing for me, mainly cos i dont know what i am looking at, hehe, but i seem to have tidied it up a bit using the "core 2 duo" overclocking guide. Runs vista ultimate 64 nicely.

As i said, only real issue has been the heat sink on the n/b or s/b (not sure which, mite guess the n/b due to it being the top one) interfers with the fan off the arctic cooler pro, and you need to do a little diy to remove the corner of the fan casing.

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

And there was me thinking of getting that very same cooler for my intended purchase of an Asus P5K3 Deluxe Wi-Fi AP... which I assume will have the same problem :eeek:

Ah well. Guess I'd better start looking at alternatives then :idea:
    It's not as if there's a shortage of 'em though :D

Thanks for the heads-up btw :thumb:

5. supertaz81

its not hard to sort out, and it does seem to be a good cooler. Just need a coping saw and a thin file. Took me about 5 mins to sort it out. just have to take off the bottom right corner and it fits fine.

6. Scan_Phil

Scan_Phil What's a Dremel?

supertaz81

I have the P5k-E and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and it fits fine, Do you have the cooler on the right way ?

Also about overclocking the board seems very good got a stable 400FSB QDR 1600 from it.

Regards

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Most boards do 400

Try 500 :rock:

8. supertaz81

cooler is on the right way, facing out the back vents, blowing air out through them. its just the casing of the fan sits on one of the copper heatsinks. I tried fiddling with it, but no mater how i positioned it, it would always interfere with the on board heat sink.