1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Sabertooth P67 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 28 Apr 2011.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

...not to mention the fact the X58 Sabertooth was stated as the best X58 board here on bit :hehe:

2. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

I don't like the shroud. Have only seen it in pictures thus far but I have good memories of Skiddywinks' P55 TUF board. Sexy as all hell. I suppose the fact it can be painted and has done is a bonus.. I'm going to have to find some pictures on that.
    Genuinely surprised it wouldn't coax 5GHz out of the CPU though.

3. TARIKK

TARIKK Minimodder

:thumb:

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

with that shroud, it reminds me of lego for some reason.

5. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

In my experience (had both boards), I think that the P8P67 has a better BIOS for OC, and if I'm not mistaken this board has 8 phases, while the P8P67 has 12. I don't know if it limits OC that much...

6. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Hmm at least it does have good NIC. Maybe not Intel server oriented version with hardware acceleration, but still better that NIC on X58 Sabertooth where they used chip (Realtek) from some antiquated PCI(not Express) network card which meant that under heavy load network was clogged up in no time at all.

7. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

love my X58 Sabertooth, if they do a similar thing for Ivybridge without the shroud then a purchase shall be made (if Ivybridge is any good o' course!)

8. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Would love to see someone do a camo mod and include this mobo and the corsair vengeance memory sticks

9. james888

james888 What's a Dremel?

I know it is only .1GHZ but... Since the scores were so close a lot. I think that if the p8p67 was dropped to 4.9GHZ or the sabertooth was able to reach 5GHZ, the sabertooth would of done better than the p8p67 in everything. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    I would love to get the sabertooth. I do like its looks but thats unimportants to me. I will end up not because I wont be able to fit a 2nd gpu with my wireless card.
    Big thanks for finaly reveiwing the sabertooth. I was part of that voice with multiple questions to it in the forums.

10. TheUn4seen

TheUn4seen What's a Dremel?

I see that "armor" and all I can think of is a massive dust buildup causing this thing to overheat and melt in two or three months. On the other hand it doesn't seem to jack up the price too much, get rid of the plastic and it's still a decent board, especially with a small price cut. And it has a nice colour scheme.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well, for starters you should have fan filters anyway :p, but the Sabertooth is built to real Military Grade spec - not just component spec used, actual testing with successive heat cycling in a hotbox, and humidity cycling for example (just those two off the top of my head) so the hardware is designed for more 'extreme' environments - coastal, high elevation and humid are generally more torturous to tech.

Somewhat fuller details here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_P67/

You know what's a fail though - the fact I can't find the exact details, yet it's partly my job to do this...

...hmm bugger. :blush:

Will definitely sort this out very soon cause the testing labs/bunker is a huge multi-million dollar investment. We just have to get permission to show it off, but they're classed as IP by the company so it's difficult.

12. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Humm. Keep my p8p67 or go with the sabertooth. It just looks so dam cool.

13. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Ross Kemp should advertise these TUF boards

14. doggy

doggy Cave Canem

I bought a Sabertooth P67 a couple of weeks back.... I really couldnt see much difference in performance on the specs (to a P8P67) i just thought it looked a lot better than the P8P67 and for just and extra £25 what the hell....All i need now is a window on my case to show off my extra £25 investement : /

I do wish it looked more like the X58 version though, that is by far the best looking board in my opinion....

15. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Here are the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One pci-express x1 is under the HD5870, the other two are usable. And that's the main reason for buying this board.

PS: Another thing that could have been talked about is the ASUS Software

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I like the fact it protects all the littel bits and bobs that take exception to accidentally being poked with a screw driver. For the record I have never damaged a mobo, ever. But I like the fact with that one you would have to try pretty damn hard to damage it.

And I actually like the look of the shroud. Makes a build look very clean I think.

17. nilesfoundglory

nilesfoundglory What's a Dremel?

I think this motherboard is a silly waste of money. I might be less bold with my opinion if it offered significant advantage over the cheaper P8P67, or any other P67 board under $160, but I saw nothing in this review to suggest that is true.

Looks aside (I don't place much weight on aesthetics because, well, I don't buy internal components to look at them... I'd vastly prefer that they'd function properly), the power component heatsinks are more worthless than the P8P67's (they're fat and have little surface area, and that's saying something because I think the P8P67's heatsinks are pretty worthless, too), the Thermal Armor doesn't do anything (I have yet to have found a review that indicates it appreciably drops the operating temperatures of anything), the MIL standard component choice is marketing fluff aimed at increasing the size of your e-peen, and the overall layout isn't much different from the P8P67.

Or, as could be summarized better in the following sentence: "The Sabretooth P67 is a P8P67 with an extra $60 worth of useless crap attached to it."

18. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

There are reviews showing temperature drop with the thermal vest, search again... :)

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Feckin how cool is that software bloody awesome stuff

20. TARIKK

TARIKK Minimodder

Thanks V3ctor,

And here is my setup, I needed to do something different, as I have installed the assistant fan, and the tv card was blocking the fan of my graphics card.

[​IMG]

And the temps :

[​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags