1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Vulcan ANC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 27 Aug 2011.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

A good gaming headset, maybe. I think the best part it the (what looks like) removable/replaceable cables in this price range. Go Asus :D

2. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

removable audio cable to prevent ear wrenching on snags? how about most of the Steelseries Headsets which implement it like that as well....?

3. D3Mamba

D3Mamba What's a Dremel?

Could somebody tell me if they think that these will be better than a pair of logitech G930s?

4. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

Many thanks. I hate USB headsets!

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

They tell you that it's a feature, they don't force you to buy it. Why are you so unbelievably sour and mad?

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

For me though, I would still prefer just getting a seperate mic and headphone. Mics aren't too expensive anyhow.

7. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

My plantronics work fine for my liking. And before you say they're not as good as <insert audiophile brand>, I don't care.. They cost me AU$60, and they're good enough to notice an improvement with dedicated audio over integrated.
    If I want massive audio I'll use my floor speakers and amp/eq. No point trying to annoy the neighbours with a headset :p

This ASUS set looks a good alternative to plantronics if I were buying now however.

8. D3Mamba

D3Mamba What's a Dremel?

Does anybody know if these support surround sound?
    Also would the ASUS be better then a pair of logitech G930s?

9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

anyone know a date on this?

10. D3Mamba

D3Mamba What's a Dremel?

can someone please tell me if the ASUS supports surround sound?
    also will this be better than a pair of logitech G930s?

11. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

Just wait for Razer Tiamat 7.1.

12. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

Don't think I could go Asus for headphones, though some nice features for the price.

13. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

now in stock at scan, just orded mine! :D

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The Vulcan is a stereo headset - so no 5.1 or 7.1 emulation. Haven't tried the G930s.

15. Nums

Nums What's a Dremel?

Poor mic and pointless ANC

Thought that I would share my experience after buying the Asus Vulcan ANCs:

I recently purchased this headset (and it's now on eBay) as the mic is the worst that I have come across as you cannot position it close to your mouth, forcing you to have to turn up all the sensitivity settings, thus transmitting all your background noise to your fellow gamers as hiss. Unsurprisingly this makes you somewhat unpopular...

The ANC function IS pointless if you wish to listen to the output from the headset's drivers (I assume you do!) as the ANC cancels out a lot of the lower frequencies. If you wish to sit on an airplane and cancel out the noise of the engines then I'm sure they work beautifully. Maybe I should be playing BF3 on a plane!?

So a headset that has poor mic positioning, a pointless ANC function, no software (to allow you to modify the sound should you wish to) and doesn't even come with a battery for £90!?

They are beautifully built though...

I agree with GiantKiwi's thoughts (and I have used them!)!

16. pistol_pete12

pistol_pete12 What's a Dremel?

Consider this.....

Why would someone require a gaming headset with ANC?
    Maybe because that person lives in a noisy area, has a noisy PC or wishes to receive better signal-to-noise whilst at LAN etc.

And what sounds would a person be missing whilst playing in a noisy environment?
    A few examples - Calls from team members, footsteps, gunshots from behind or in the distance, the bounce of a grenade etc.

Most of these sounds are discreet and require more mid-high-frequency emphasis to become more audible. I purchased an Audio-technica AD700 headset for this very reason which is incredible in a quiet environment. Unfortunately in a noisy environment, due to its open design, the sound quality is significantly affected.

SO, the Asus Vulcan - Yes, the ANC function will reduce low-frequency sounds so you won't experience punchy explosions and perhaps a more immersive atmosphere, however, it DOES significantly reduce background ambient noise and therefore DOES enable you to hear the more important sound cues in a game.

A team mate of mine had this headset at i46 whereas I was using the Plantronics Gamecom 377. First impression of the Vulcan was it looked good and was very comfortable. When I used it in-game however, I was completely bowled over by the amount of reduction in background noise with the ANC turned on. As you press the button it's almost as though you are stepping into a sound-treated room. This was hugely beneficial as we were playing CSS which requires very acute hearing. I was able to localise footsteps, gunshots etc much easier. I noticed that as soon as I switched back to the Plantronics headset I had to wack up the volume to an uncomfortable level so as to drown out the background noise!

I guess for a game such as BF3 however, where part of the enjoyment is the incredible atmosphere made by explosions, vehicle noise etc. and where there is less emphasis on more discreet sounds, this technology would not be so important. Like most peripherals, it's very much a personal decision.

The only disadvantage in my opinion is the mic - as said by others, the users' voice can sound quiet/distant and almost mechanical. With some tweaks this can be improved.

I will certainly be purschasing this headset prior to my next LAN :)

Tags: Add Tags