1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics ATI 9600xt prob...maybe!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sinplicity, 13 May 2004.

1. sinplicity

sinplicity What's a Dremel?

New here so hi to everyone first. Now to the prob. I have an Powercolor ATI 9600xt 128mb agp card, that is only running 80fps max on MOHAA. I had the same performance with my 64mb pci graphics card. Can anyone help.
    Thanks in advance

2. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

Check the refresh rate on your monitor - some games will cap the FPS at that. If your monitor refreshed at 80Hz thats 80 times per second. Some games will detect that and then only run at a max of 80 FPS - anything more would be waste and might actually be less visually appealing as then its out of sync. Some game also have an option to disable this if you like - Call of Duty is one I play that both caps and allows you to remove the cap.

3. sinplicity

My friend got a 256mb ati card and he is getting an average of 230fps, why would that be then?

4. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

I didnt say for sure that was your problem - just a possibility. Check the settings maybe yours is set to sync and his isnt.....check your ATI settings as well for vsync. Might not even be the problem just a guess.

Is your refresh rate set to 80????

5. sinplicity

Just to be clear I wasn't snapping :D no my monitor is set to 75hz, sync is off, now I only have a 1.2 comp. could that be bottle-necking me? And how much a factor is RAM in the big scheme of things?
    Thanks again

6. verse

verse What's a Dremel?

Ram is important.

7. sinplicity

Right now I have 256sdram, I'm stuck.

8. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Id be surprised if you get anything higher on a 1.2 ghz pc.. try upgraded and go for 2ghz+, also an upgrade to 512 would be well worth it.

9. sinplicity

Hey you were right. I stepped up to an Athlon xp 2600+ and 2x 256mb ddr. big diff. I am now running in the 280 fps.
    Thanks for all your advice guys.

Tags: