1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics ATI x800 Or nVidia 6800U??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeathAwaitsU, 16 May 2004.

1. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

The way is see it, if you play more directx 9 games (eg HL2) get the X800, if you play more OpenGL games (eg Doom 3) get the 6800. I wouldn't worry about the PS 3.0 / DX 9.0c support because by the time it is implemented in games you'll be wanting a new card anyway. No matter which card you get it's gonna completely own, so don't lose too much sleep. Though I think the ATi cards *might* have a more elegant/quiet cooling solution, the dual DVI on the 6800U looks VERY nice from here. It's really 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other (its great to see nVidia and ATi competing so well :D ).

I think the 6800 is truely a next gen card, whereas the X800 is just a massively powerful 9600/9800 hybrid, but I don't think that it actually matters.

2. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Yeah i know the 6800u is better in Open GL, and that PS3.0 isn't used alot yet, theres not a whole lot of difference really especially when your whizzing through the level blowing everyones head of :hehe: i wanna play both lol, so then what do i do? j/k

I just wanted to make an early start bigZ :D

[EDIT] Just a quick thought, y dont we make a Bit-Tech Clan?? For different games of course, theres gotta be quite a few gamers here :naughty: Unless i've missed somethin and we already have clans :worried: [/EDIT]

Death

3. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

i was thinking that too... but wasn't gonna suggest anything until the late summer when i can dedicate time to CS. but we MUST have a bit-tech LAN sometime...

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OT: Noone can decide on a game they all want to play, noone can decide a day, noone wants to organise a server for said game at said time. :duh: It has been tried before many many moons ago.

Would be nice to get some ut2k4 action going sometime with fellow BTers.

5. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

No, no. a LAN party....

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

that was tried too... not enough interest, and no-one was prepared to put up a large sum of money in advance to cover the setup, venue and organisation costs.

7. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

how much would it cost?

im just looking for an estimate, as ive organised some before, but they were just a group of ten mates and a hall style, so i wouldnt know a cost.

8. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

ahh not lan party stuff again.

Last time this cause so many problems.

You need costs for the games, "copyright and all" you need the network equipement. You need the hall. And knowledge. Also Need a location for most people. Alot of cost. Alot of thought and commitment.

9. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

bah, oh well. i would help pay stuff gladly, but i lack the know on how to set anything up :waah: nevermind.

10. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

??

We don't have to arange a venue etc.... just all meet online in a server, someone can create a few servers for a few games that are just for us Bit-Techers, password the servers and just post it on here so no one can just drop in :D

Death

11. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

My bad...

You got some more anti-flams suits?

/puts on kevlar and k-pot, grabs rifle and hides in bushes

I grew up around nVidia, so I really like there cards, but I also like ATi, each one is unique...

Cheers,
    Mike

12. M4d-K10wN

M4d-K10wN Banned

You guys are missing on some other key features NV40 has to offer. For once, it can do branch prediction, much like a normal CPU, while still retaining the parallel pipeline of a GPU. It can also run infinetly long vertex programs, which make it much easier to use for the developers; they no longer have to worry about an instruction being too long. And it also has a nice displacing mapping thing, that will correct the texture based on the angle you look at it; such that it will still apear 3-dimensional. For example, you might look at a rough stone cube, and it will appear three-dimensional from the front. If you view it from a 30% angle, you will see that it's as flat as a mirror. This should correct the texture so it would still appear rough, and 3-dimensional (even though it's completely flat). Also, the structure of the GPU allows it to group and render at once several low-poly models, as opposed to rendering them one at a time. This is a big boon in RTS and MMO games, where there are many, many relatively low-poly models.

On the other hand, R420 = R380*2. It has brute strength, and a new trilinear algorithm (correct me if i'm wrong). Nothing new or exciting. It also runs at a higher frequency than NV40; but NV40 isn't that far behind, showing that it scales nicely. The image quality on shiny stuff effects (PS) still seems to be nicer on ATi's hardware. Possibly because there are errors with pixel shading in the current software. Also, R420 still takes a lesser performance hit for running high AA+AF, so you can actually run high AA+AF with 1600x1200 at, say, Farcry, and still get playable FPS. Although at that resolution you won't notice the effect of AA, or AF, but whatever :D

They also cost around the same - you can see the exact same pricing on the cards that are in direct competition.

13. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

/ douses self with gasoline and runs over to where the others are in "flameproof" suits and smears them with napalm, then gets out a small thermite hand grenade and shouts

XGI OWNS YOU ALL THEY HAD IT RIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! THEY COULD STILL OWN ALL OF YOU OTHER FANBOYS!!! THERE WERE SOME BENCHES WHERE THEY WERE DOUBLING THE PERFORMANCE OF A FX 5950U and the 9800XT!!

oh, you say those benches were only for certain types of bench tests!?! well I sort of noticed that. You say their drivers suck big time? Yeah the sort of do, i guess they are finished up and are taking their last dying breaths...

OH WELL SO WHAT THEY STILL OWN ALL OF YOU DAM....
    Uh oh.....

/a tanker flys by and crushes Sea Shadow with a load of fire retardant
    /after the wave of retardant dies down Sea Shadow gets up and is drenched in fire retardant chemicals

Oh fine, I guess you are right, XGI is gone but it would have been nice if they succeeded, and regarding the new cards from ATi and nVidia, they both have their strong and weak points. It all comes down to what you do with your computer and your preference as well as what you have on hand or are willing to buy.

Personally I would go with nVidia's solution, but That is because I have no lack of slots or power. Also I am a media junkie and that onboard dedicated programmable video processor would be handy for me. As well as the fact that most of the games I play are open GL and I also do some CGI as a hobby. But that is just because of my interests and hobbies. I am sure that there are others who have needs that would make them decide to get ATi's card.

Now where did that grenade go?
    /looks down street and notices that a bystander has found it and is wondering what it is, they get bored of looking at it and throw it into a garbage can which promptly bursts into flames and vaporizes the can as well as lights the road on fire
    Sea Shadow just shrugs and then hitches a ride with the nearest truck to a fire bomber base and hops in the next available plane and is on standby.

Last edited: 21 May 2004
  14. Monster63385

Monster63385 What's a Dremel?

I would personally have to go with the ati although they do perform pretty much equally. The one thing that everybody is missing here is that by the time there are any games that take advantage of the branch prediction or the long vertex programs, both ati and nvidia will have thier next cards out. A thread like this should have never been started. There is no real reason to buy a video card for future games, buy it for what's out now, the only game that really needs either of these cards now is farcry.

by the way, let the flaming begin!! :D

15. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I agree, it is all about what is out at the moment you get the card and impending future (at most 1 month), and what you play and do with that GFX card. For if you wait too long then there will be a new card out from both companies that will waste the card a person buys only a few months earlier.

Ok, then you are a stupid ATi fan!!! :naughty:
    /A minion of Sea Shadow smears napalm across a cement wall and ignites it, the letters XGI burn brightly for the next hour.

16. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

My opinion, DONT BY ANYTHING ON THE MARKET NOW. It is in another transition, for PCI-Express. Think of it like a 16x AGP slot, that there can be up to 8 of, all over and anywhere on the mobo, and support 64bit. The x800 will be re-released in about 4 months in PCI Express versions. PCI express is going to let mobo manufatures to make some awesome mobos since there is no longer the limitation AGP had. I would wait, don't get anything new now, everything will hop. Intel should releace there dual pros tech by then, and AMD should be running high up there as well.

17. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

**Exploits the napalm dumped on everyone and sets it on fire**

TAKE THAT THOSE WHO THINK BUYING A $600 VIDEO CARD IS A GOOD PURCHASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**laughs maniacally, pulls out flame thrower, and starts burning everyone and everything in site**

:p

18. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

Well if I was going to get any of the cards it would be the 6800GT...cheaper than 6800U, X800XT, etc., still has 16 pipes and all the features, etc, etc.. IF I was going to get it. :duh:

19. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

*takes out RotoSequence with one bullet into the core*
    Dodge this :p

Cheers,
    Mike

20. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

**Regenerates, Terminator style, pulls out UT2K4 Redeemer and shoots SFOD-D LoneWolf at point blank range**

Dodge THIS :D

**BaBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

Tags: