1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics atkmdag crashing

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by blueprint., 13 Oct 2009.

1. blueprint.

blueprint. What's a Dremel?

I apologize in advance for the long read.

Back Ground:
    My new system (not truly new like 3 months old) has become a paper weight. I didnt purchase a new gfx card immediately and reused my old 9600gt, then I replaced it with a saphire 4870 which ran fine, then the motherboard began to act up and I rma'd it. A friend of mine wanted a new gpu so I sold him my 4870 and bought the 4890 oc edition I originally wanted since it was on sale, and I had to wait for my motherboard to get back. Once I got the motherboard back and my new 4890 everything went down hill-

Specs:
    MSI 790fx-gd70 motherboard
    *MSI 4890 oc edition now 4890 Cyclone edition
    catalyst 9.9
    8gb G skill memory
    Phenom II x4 955 be
    Stock speeds on everything / no heat issues

So once I got my motherboard back from rma (4 weeks :sigh:) the heatsink was bent but the board seamed to work fine so I decided the bent fins weren't enough for me to go another 4 weeks without my gaming system. So i put everything back together and installed vista 64bit and all seamed fine. Then I started to play call of duty world at war with some friends, game froze; ok computers freeze occasionally could be nothing. Restart and get back in the game; everything is going good then crash again, alright time to check the event viewer. Some error about windows desktop manager being blocked by call of duty. So i spend a few days trying every fix imaginable I find online for this problem and nothing solves it, then my graphics start acting up, black and white only, black and blue only, random dots, random lines...Rma time. I spoke with customer service and they werent willing to send anything upfront when the card was obviously dying, even though I just got another board back from them after a 4 week wait for them to decide that a part was bad. Best they could offer was 'expedited rma', just write rush rma on the box; no better option so I did...4 weeks later I get an email asking if I would accept a 4890 cyclone edition as a replacement for the 4890 oc edition I rma'd I looked at the specs and approved of it, another 2 weeks and it was here...Great turn around time huh? went from 4 weeks regular rma to 6 weeks expedited. So I decided I would do a complete fresh install of vista 64 to clear up any problems I may have created with trying to fix the last error. Then installed everything and began to game again, then I started getting a popup after the screen would freeze for 5-6 seconds that says something about "atikmdag stopped responding but has recovered", Cannot play any games, and it happens during normal computing (websurfing, school work). Tried tons of fixes I found via google with no solution working for me, so I decided to do a fresh install of windows 7 rc1 64 bit, maybe they fixed the problem. Nope now its even more frequent in crashing. Emailed msi for tech support and all they did was point me to pages I found by myslef on google.

Now extremely frustrated I come to you guys for some assistance, please help me fix my system. If any other information is needed please ask.

2. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

Try your graphic card on some other PC; I suspect a motherboard problem. :)

These Nvidia boards are famous for such illnesses :D

3. blueprint.

blueprint. What's a Dremel?

Extremely sorry; I meant to post in tech support but I was in a hurry and must have clicked hardware. will repost there now.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Please don't repost things, just ask a mod and we'll move it. :)