1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics basic question!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eUphoria, 18 Feb 2013.

1. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

Its been a while since I've bought a new GPU & I'm just about to switch my 4850 for a 7870. Latest catalyst drivers installed, am I right thinking that I can just switch the cards & don't have to uninstall followed by reinstall the drivers?

There, told you it was basic! :D

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I'd uninstall, then reinstall - I had a problem when changing a friends hd5600 series card to a hd6850. Once I'd uninstalled the drivers (with the 5600 back in), I was able to install the new card and drivers without a further problem.

3. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Always best to do a full uninstall of driver. Put in card, reinstall driver. Just saves you from any random issues that may crop up due to incorrect settings. Will take all of 10 mins.

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

From my own experience with AMD cards, their drivers can be fussy if you just swap in a new card. Nvidia is better in that respect. But yeah, uninstall the drivers and reinstall. It'll save you from any random little issues or bugs.

5. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, all done, reinstalled & working! :thumb: