1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BDXL promises 128GB Blu-ray discs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I wouldn't trust optical discs for long term backup regardless of their capacity. They're too easily damaged.

3. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

To be fair, Blu-ray disks are far more durable than normal DVDs.

4. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

What's the read/write speed of these things?

5. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Are they? I thought they were LESS durable due to the information being so close to the surface of the disc

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

That sounds ominous, I don't like the idea of a film being locked to a single playback device - don't know about you, but I've got a dvd player in more than one room (and will probably upgrade to BR at some point once they become cheap enough) and if that kicks off it's going to make all but one of them redundant.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

i think it will have a retricted usage limitation built into the disk so if you use it on say 3 blue ray players in the house that would be fine

but once you say hit 5 it wont work anymore ( who has 5 blueray players lol)

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

10/15 years ago I would have said the same thing about DVD players, however just totalling up the number of them I've gone through over the last 10-15 years it's close to 20 different players:

Ranging from the DVD drives in PC's (over several builds I've had 4 DVD drives);
    a portable player;
    I've upgraded from a standard DVD player in the living room to a DVD/Video combi player (which has died) to a DVD/HDD Recorder (which has also died) to a HDMI DVD/HDD recorder and added a BR player as well;
    In my bedroom, I've got a DVD player with surround sound as well as another recorder that's without the consoles (xbox, PS2, 360 and I'm on my 2nd round of each of those too (with the first one either dying or being nicked by my brother when he moved out));
    There's a DVD player in the other 2 bedrooms too (and one of those has just been replaced after it stopped playing DVD's).

I've bought a hell of a lot of DVD's in that time and I would be p****d if I could only use them with the first 5 players I got.

9. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Nobody ever said DRM was good for the consumer. I, for one, haven't got a Blu-Ray player and I'm not really planning to get one. All the initial fuss about it left a sour taste in my mouth, and I prefer hard-drives and digital media anyway.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Completely agree with BladeMRK here, my family has gone through several DVD players by now.

It also cuts out being able to bring one over to your mates house and the rental market.

But this is really only a second hand sales solution to me, something that's not a huge problem for movies in the same way it is for console games. Like music, if people buy a movie they tend to keep it.

11. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Cheese noodles!

12. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Ok hard discs are now 2TB and rising so no problem with 130Gb at a time of temporary backup. However they'd better get on with dumping off the old drives and moving to the new ones ASAP, then the cost will stay around £80-100.

Limiting the number of players rather than the number of region changes with a computer drive is a dumb idea. Sony's pulling its Double Density CD-RW nonsense with Blu Ray, sadly because they won the format war they just might succeed in forcing it on the consumer.

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

its just like dual layer dvd burners. same thing except way bigger improvement in storage.

in my family we are still using our first dvd player that we bought. you guys need to be more careful.

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

:hehe: of the 4 that broke:

Sanyo DVD/Video Combi-player - It's surprising how flimsy a DVD tray is - the tray would get stuck (part of the worm gear track inside had snapped somehow).

The Thompson player we had (which we bought back in '99) just stopped reading some discs late last year, others it would read without a problem.

The Panasonic HDD/DVD Recorder would get stuck in a start up loop. It would try to read a disk, the display would die and it would re-start and go through this loop until you got lucky and it would finish reading the disc and display the DVD menu (apparently a known issue on this model). This could take upwards of half an hour (or 5 minutes if your lucky).

X-Box 360 launch unit - RROD x2 (2nd time out of warranty, so just replaced it - will try to fix this myself at some point) Microsoft also replaced the DVD drive when they replaced the motherboard on the 1st RROD (again dodgy worm gear track, wouldn't open when 360 was vertical, worked fine when horizontal).

The other units just got upgraded over time.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2010
  15. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Watch a show or film on normal dvd and then on a 51 inch blu-ray set up with decent speakers the difference is night and day.

I would like to see someone make a monitor that is the equivalent of 3 27" monitors in eyefinity, one screen rather than three. Or at least get above the 30 inch size for monitors.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

My parents just bought their first DVD player two years ago. They don't have to be careful when their products are hopelessly outdated in a couple of years :sigh:

That said, the PS2 has worked perfectly for several years now. PS3 just continues that legacy of capable media playing consoles.

17. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

How long will it take to write 100GB of data? Although on the plus side, with 500GB of storage ~£40, as long as these discs are <£5 ea, they'll be cost effective, and just loading one into the drive for a full system backup is much more attractive than sticking around with a big pile of DVD's (how long ago were people saying this about CD's as opposed to floppies?)

18. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

And you need to be less of a prat.

Use leads to wear and wear leads to failure. Your single data point doesn't invalidate the laws of physics or the fact that most electronics are made in such a way as to be readily available and cheap - even the best brands have a failure rate.

19. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

How about portable 128gig media that you can't ruin by simply scratching it?

20. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Ouch....looks like you've been butthurt. Don't worry I've called the Wahmbulance for you.

[​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags