1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Beginning EDIT: Project idea

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jpantoga, 14 Apr 2005.

1. Jpantoga

Jpantoga What's a Dremel?

Hello, I am looking into getting into electronics, (specifically the programming of microcontrollers) but I do not know where to start. I've done little electronics projects before, but I understand there is a much, much more vast area of electronics that I wish to explore. Are there any good kits, books, etc. that could help me throughout the beginning stages? (everyone has to start somewhere :D )

Jpantoga

EDIT: I have a project idea on my latest post.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2005
  2. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

We really need a sticky for this.

First of you want to learn the arcecture of your micro, for simple stuff the arazona microchip pic is great (www.microchip.com lotsa good stuff there).
    Atmel have more powerful ones, (www.atmel.com) but they aren't as elegant in a purist way.

then you need a programmer, a PIC can be programmed with a "JDM" or "PonyProg" and software called "ICPROG" (google for urls).

Then you need to learn the language, atmels low-er stuff is best googled up with AVR, microchip's stuff with PIC.

www.piclist.com is a definative site + mailing list for all things uC.

3. Jpantoga

Thanks for the reply, but once a PIC is programmed, it has to be implemented in some way, is there a kit that you might suggest that uses a microchip in a project, so I can see how my programming is used?

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

if your rolling in dosh, yes.

if not, no, just get a prototype board (often called breadboard)

we really should make a getting into PICs sticky.

i would say use the search because somewere i explained all the differnces about programmers, pic memories, debuggers and emulators. I'm kinda fast reading the forums before i have to jet in a minuite.

PICs are very versitile, whats probably best is you think of a simple project you want to do, and we help you design something to do it. Its a bit boring making a row of LEDs count if theres no good escuse for making it do that in the first place.

5. Jpantoga

Thanks, I think Im gonna research the links you supplied me a little bit more before I buy any PIC's and a programmer. PIClist recommends the 16F84A for beginners, so I think Im going to start with that and a cheap programmer. In your own experience, do you think that that is an easy first step? Or would I be better off with a different microcontroller?

6. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

I would recommend the PIC16F628

It's basically pin for pin compatible with the 'F84/A

The PIC16F84 is really old and obsolete.

The 16F628 has more memory, int. osc, UART, and some other neat features iirc.

7. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the nice little programmer i use for Flash PIC's

8. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Look in my sig, and if its not much trouble please give me feedback as to how useful the info was.

9. Jpantoga

I read up on the links that you guys provided, and they were pretty helpful, and I have come up with an idea that I doubt will be too difficult for a beginning PIC project (I hope). It is similar to an LED chaser, and will be contained in an Altoids Sours tin (the round ones). I hope to have four switches (is touch sensitive possible?) that when one of them is activated, it will switch the pattern of the LED's moving around the container. Is this a good project for a beginner? Will it be too big to fit into an altoids container with a power supply? I still have yet to buy any PIC's/programmer's etc. Am I just trying to run before I can walk?

10. iamnafets

iamnafets What's a Dremel?

Personally, since having just gone through this experience, I felt that the old and obselete features of the 16F84A made it that much easier to learn on. Once you get the basics, jumping to another PIC is very easy (with Microchip's data sheets anyways). I'd buy your chip(s), a programmer, and maybe a book. When you start out, you're going to need at least 8 LEDs, a bypass capacitor (.1uF), some sort of regulated power supply or a powered breadboard, a bunch of resistors and some transistors if you're feeling special, and a few switches. Once you've got the stuff, you can fidget with it until you get the hang of it, then move on to bigger things. Randy at Glitchbuster.com helped me TONS to get started, you might give him an email and ask what he thinks, he writes very detailed emails and will answer any questions you might have. Great guy.

11. Jpantoga

thanks for the great information, and Im going to do just that!