1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Beverage Association blames games for obesity

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Dec 2007.

1. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad The 20 Year Old Guy

They seem to pin everything on games. When they can't pin something on fact, pin it on science fiction :p (the games that is)

I agree it does keep people inside, but its each persons or their guardians responsibility to take it in moderation. If you sit playing games all day you need to consider what else you should be doing.

2. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

it is a sugar yes but glucose is what is commonly used in beverages around the world. In the US it is subsidized with high fructose corn syrup.

3. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

1) Welcome to the forums
    2) Interesting concept, not exactly viable here in the Great White North (Canada) but I really hope it works for you.
    3) "Public Fructification" :lol: sorry, that just sounds funny in English (I understand what you mean and wish I could give you a better phrase to use but I can't think of one at the moment).

Ah-ha! let's blame the government :hehe: (j/k). Personally I'm trying to cut back on my sugar / carb intake but unless you make it yourself or are willing to put up with artificial sweeteners (I'm not) then it's difficult. The easiest first step: cut out the soft drinks. I'd say the mayor is on the right track. :thumb:

I wonder, has anyone made a comparison of the cost to society of obesity versus smoking? I think it would hilarious to see the same type of warnings on Coke as we see on cigarettes - in Canada they're the size of half of the cigarette package. (OK, it'll never happen but it would be funny.)

4. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

OMG REALLY????

God Damn it. :grr:

Only in a city as gay as San Fagcisco, Could you ask everyone to stop gaming and drinking soda.

Next thing, Everyone will have to drink water and Jucie's.

**** you mayor.

People are fat because they want to be fat. Or because they can't change it. Not becasue there are many sooooo Soda's and Video games available and not enough fruity ****ing beverages around.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

here they are about the same size of the cigarette package... except for the top part..... that is reserved for the makers.

6. naokaji

naokaji whatever

to be honest, i rather have sugar than the 100% artificial crap noone knows anything about they use as a substitute...

7. TRG

TRG What's a Dremel?

Gaming

Despite what the soft drink companies think, gaming can actually burn calories. Has anyone here ever ended a fragfest and noticed that they are sweating? How about getting an adrenalin rush? Your brain burns through sugar like mad when it is active, so play a thinking game (like Sub Space Continuum). Make sure that you can get a rush off of whatever game it is (chess or checkers don't work well here), and you can actually stay fit by gaming. Or just buy a Wii...

Last edited: 21 Dec 2007
  8. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

hmmm......

i look at this and my answer to the initial post is that neither are the sole cause of obesity. many things are to blame for the current trend of obesity in many parts of the world (not just limited to the US). we could play the blame game till the cows come home however that never gets us anywhere but angry, frustrated, and nowhere close to solving this problem.

as far as this obesity thing and what has been proposed i will say one thing and one thing only "no amount of government regulation or intervention can make up for just a few ounces of good parenting". while this does not mean that every obese person had a bad parent or will be a bad parent it just goes to say that we will do more to resolve this issue if parents taught their kids to eat healthy and exercise. simply removing soft drinks and video games from the picture just means that people will now pig out on chocolate while watching TV.

what i am trying to say in all of this is that we should try our hardest to learn from our mistakes and teach the next generation how to be healthy while they can still be taught. changing an adults behavior is significantly more difficult than a child's. if we do this then our children will (more than likely) eat healthy, exercise and consume less soft drinks. then the market will adjust and the manufacturers will have to figure out how to make their product more healthy so they will sell. even though it will take a lot longer this is always the best method in the long run. after all the only good thing government does is take your money; the last thing they need to do is regulate something else.

9. Tubarc

Tubarc What's a Dremel?

2) Interesting concept, not exactly viable here in the Great White North (Canada) but I really hope it works for you.
    3) "Public Fructification" sorry, that just sounds funny in English (I understand what you mean and wish I could give you a better phrase to use but I can't think of one at the moment).

Well, I saw some apples being grown on a sidewalk in Pennsylvania. Canada can grow fruits in the summer time. Naturally there will not be fruits in the winter, but you import some from Brazil or come around and get them free.

Public Fructification is intended not only to grow fruits but also to make the public services and assets work better toward citizes since Brazilians are famous for corruptions and dishonesty. Learnging to grow something in the public area can help to mold a new mind of citizenship toward solidarity and sharing common interest. Obesity is just one more goal toward helping man to find its balance with nature.

http://revver.com/watch/353186

10. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Exactly... Fructose has the problem of being bad to your liver when you eat it in excess.

The key terms on a subject as obesity fighting/prevention are balance and self-control. ;) So, you shouldn't need any nutrients to be substituted by something that shouldn't be there in the first place. Same goes with Aspartame and Diet drinks/food.

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I blame food! Obviously duh! I play pc games and at work I spend the day in front of a pc... and I'm still slim and sexy :thumb:

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

:D

My parents went to Canada last year and I've got some friends who've emigrated to the US (Texas) and whenever they've gone out for meals the amount of food you get on the plate compared to here is.... awesome, it's like twice the size of what you'd get here.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

In the past when people did not know why something bad happened they would say: "God works in mysterious ways" or "it is the will of God"
    now people say: "it was because of the video games" or "video games did this".

Tags: Add Tags