1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics BFG GTX280H20C Died, Looking For A Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris_Waddle, 8 Sep 2009.

1. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

As the title says my BFG GTX280 H2OC has died (again!). This one is a warrenty replacement of one that died at christmas. The previous one lasted just over 6 months, this one has lasted just under 8 months.

When I say it's died, I can use it to browse the net in XP (as now), but as soon as I try to play a game, or boot into Windows 7, it blue screens. Exactly what the first one did.

BFG were great last time. They RMA'd it without any problems and sent me out a new one; but now this one has died. I'm not a happy bunny. If I was overclocking/overvolting it above it's pre overclock I might feel a little guilty, but I haven't. I've left it at stock as the pre-overclock is pretty damn good. The temp on it never rises over 50deg even when folding.

My problem is this, the card has a built in waterblock. Last time it took BFG almost a month to get a new one to me. I was without my pc for that whole time as I had to drain down my system to remove the card and I didn't have a card that I could install in its place.

I've decided that I'm not going to wait for a replacement this time and am going to order a new card whilst it arrives. I am thinking of a GTX260 as this should still run most of my games at 1920x1200.

Once I get my replacement card (assuming that BFG are as good as last time and send me a new one) I plan on installing the GTX260 in my son's machine. I will then put his 8800GTS 512 in my wifes machine and keep her old 7900GTX as an emergency replacement.

I'll be honest. I'm pretty miffed with this card from BFG. When you spend around £400 on a card, you don't expect two to die in just over a year. I know it's not my system that's killing it either either; I built a new i7 machine about 6 months ago and replaced everything except for the graphics card.

I am tempted to say 'to hell with this card'. If they do send me a new one, I might not use it and sell it. That being the case, will I really notice a massive difference in performance if I keep the 260?

I basically use the machine for gaming, BF2, COD4, GTA4, Crysis, L4D etc and like to run them all at 1920x1200 with lots of eye candy on. I am aware that the GTX260 won't do this, but will I have to turn down quite a lot or will I be able to get close to what I am used to?

If it's not going to be up to the job, what would you suggest as an adequate replacement? If I'm going to have to spend quite a bit more than the cost of the 260, I'll just get that and wait for the replacement.

Many thanks in advance.

2. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

I would buy the ATI 5870X2.

The best thing to do would be to rob your sons PC of his card, for the time.

There is another possibility; the new GeForce "395", or a single GT300 card, if you can wait till December. I think however, that the ATI's way might appeal more to you. One card is 600 dollars.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well it's Nvidia that does the card (and heatsink) :) No mater the brand it's all the same.
    BFG, EVGA, etc.. provides you the warranty service, accessories, support, and manufacture OC.
    Probably the OC card (if it's OC for you) fails because it doesn't like your motherbroard... or simply the GPU or memory has an issue with the provided overclock.

4. Chris_Waddle

Ok, sorry, but you obviously dont know the card. This card is shipped with a dangerden waterblock as standard. Not a ref nvidia card. It's not the same as all the others and has a pretty damn big overclock to show.

I also said, I have changed boards. I have gone from a core 2 board to an i7 board and both have caused an issue. Whist I do appreciate your input, all input is welcome, reading my initial post would help.

I am just asking if I go for a 260, am I going to notice a massive difference? If so, I will wait for a replacement.

I do realise that a 260 isn't going to match up to the 280 that I had, but what I am wondering is that will it do a good enough job that I can live with it?

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I meant the circuit board, as for "heatsink/fan" I was just referring at a general level. So in this case the heatsink (well water block and everything to cool off teh card is made by BGF).

6. Chris_Waddle

Sorry, missed your point. Didn't mean to be rude, just felt like throwing the pc through the window at the time and guess I passed off some of that mood in the reply.

Anyway, I've decided to go with a Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample. Got it from scan for £107 inc delivery. I can't argue with that. Thanks for looking though.

7. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

You will see a big dip in performance in games going from the overclocked 280 down to a 260.

8. Chris_Waddle

Thanks. Thought as much.

I've decided on just using it as a stop gap until BFG replace my card. Should they decide that as they have already replaced it once they are not going to do so again, then I'll invest in a better card at a later date.

For £100 the GTX260 looked like a good offer. If nothing else, my son and wife will end up with better cards.