1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows BIOSHOCK available on Steam

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by g3n3tiX, 16 Aug 2007.

1. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

It's preloading now !
    Go get it guys !

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I may just do so.... curse you for telling me! I actually like having the box and stuff. :hehe: Call me a typical consumer. I know. Material things and all.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

£27.71?! And that's without the usual taxes that are lumped on.

£23.99 delivered

4. Ryan_Pospichal

Ryan_Pospichal What's a Dremel?

I saw that headline at my usual news site related to anything source and steam, and was like!!! !L!LL#WJLDJFJjJEJIEI and needlesss to say I'm preloading now and it's at about 10% =]D

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

is Bioshock be like HL2, where even though it's a singleplayer game, to play, internet connection is required for no apparent reason? (hence Steam)

6. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

7. rufiosab

rufiosab What's a Dremel?

Yeah, i wanna get it, and i'd rather get it on steam but $64.57 ~ £33+.
    its the most expensive game on steam. wheres the introductory offer?

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Internet connection is required for activation... it's a fair move, IMO, if the (hoped) reduction in piracy funds more great games like this.

9. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

Always wondered why people had that prob with Steam, you let it log on once to register your game then switch it to offline mode and play, occasionally signing in for patches.

10. wyx087

i have had that problem because i didn't have internet connection when i moved into a new apartment, only got a connection after half-a-year. which meant i can't install HL2 or the new episode 1 (at that time, it just got released) and play on my new computer

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I just recalled like 10seconds ago that last night I dreamed I was running an Unreal 3 engine game on my PC (I'm sure it was Bioshock) and it was running perfectly .... Arrrrgggg

It better does in real life :D

12. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Hmm not sure i'm all that impressed with all these new games having to be tied to a steam account. It means that i cant trade or sell them when i'm done. My retail copy of Lost Planet has been gathering dust for a few weeks now but i'm stuck with it forever:( I would of sold it by now and maybe used what i got for it towards Bioshock but i can't.
    I love buying and selling used games on ebay but it looks like that will soon be a thing of the past.

13. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

What he said ^^^^.

You have two options:
    - create a dummy steam account per game - so you can sell the account rather than the game.
    - buy retail - get it cheaper, run it offline, and sell it when you have finished.

Technically, I don't think you are supposed to sell steam accounts but there is little they can do about it. Nevertheless, it's too much of a ball-ache.

If you could re-sell games that are linked into steam, I'd use it all the time. But they've got the same DRM-esque approach as RIAA/MPAA/etc - and they don't look like they are going to change their minds in a hurry.

For the record, I've bought the tin-box version of Bioshock from HMV for £26...

14. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I'm not sure why they don't let people sell their steam games. I know it wont happen, but it would be cool if the new community allowed it. Almost like a trade or something.

15. Silver Shamrock

Sadly your option 2 won't work without selling the steam account with it either. Even the retail versions will be tied to a steam account. This is the part i'm dead against but have no choice whatsoever if i want to play a certain game.
    Sadly your retail tin of Bioshock will still need activating to a steam account.

So it looks like i will buy Bioshock over steam. It workes out at £27.68. I could get it a few pounds cheaper but i don't trust these online stores/Royal mail getting it too me Friday morning.

16. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

Retail Bioshock isn't tied to Steam, it has online authentication but it is not through steam, from what I read on the 2k forums.

17. Silver Shamrock

Hope that's the case.

18. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

The retail version will not require steam (but will require activation), but I suspect that you will be able to download it via steam and use a retail key to join it you steam account.

19. wyx087

well, from the link provided on the other thread, i got a SecuRom error. it says i've got Process Explorer running, told me to restart and then start the game (which then worked fine)

so i suspect it's something to do with SecuRom.

after searching, it seems SecuRom do have a internet activation mechanism.

20. BFGunrunner

BFGunrunner What's a Dremel?

How do you guys think my pc will play in this game

Tags: