1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bit-tech 2017 refresh feedback: Bugs and errors

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Dogbert666, 27 Jun 2017.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Only have access to IE at work, but a colleague has firefox and it loads without the purple 'selection' in that...

Also, the search box sits in the purple bar in the header on the main page, but on the forum it sits half out.

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bit-tech at work ;). Oh the joys of internet explorer. It's added to the list but honestly IE deserves to die.

3. MadGinga

I hope you don't think I use IE out of choice! Its that or nothing, only specific people are allowed to run firefox for "legacy development" reasons. Gimme Chrome any day of the week please.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I have Firefox, IE & Chrome on my Work Windows 7 PC, I am not seeing the problem with the purple box misalignment as seen by MadGinga, however I have seen that purple box appear around the bit-tech logo BEFORE the page has fully loaded, it goes away once fully loaded.

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's why I haven't checked anything in IE. We are a computer enthusiast site, I don't think anyone here uses IE by choice.
    So this issue might not just be an IE issue but a specific IE version issue. Can both of you send me the versions you are using?

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I am currently using Firefox v54.0 32bit, Chrome v59.0.3071.115 32bit and Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.18697 on a fully patched Windows 7 Enterprise (32bit) laptop.

Caveat - my work internet access proxies via either UK or Germany (it can vary), I am in the UK although I don't think this will affect how pages are displayed.

Edit - Firefox just updated to v54.01 32bit whilst I was using it, still not seeing the purple box misalignment.

7. MadGinga

:lol: but some of us are forced to :(
    [​IMG]
    On a 64bit win7 enterprise desktop (i5 3570, 8GB)

FWIW - the internet connection is poop, random sites will randomly crash IE, not load fully, load but lose their style sheet, etc

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Hey mate, do you see it constantly and is the page fully loaded when you see it? Have you tried hitting refresh multiple time in case it is a slow load of an element of the logo/style?

9. MadGinga

Nope page is fully loaded, even tried spamming F5, and see it all the time in the forum pages. *shrug*

10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I've just managed to replicate it using IE, hang on while I load some screen shots...

Edit:

TLDR: looks to me as if it could be crap IE and CSS again... the header and header proxy are using CSS styles correct?

Firefox
    [​IMG]

Chrome
    [​IMG]

IE
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Jul 2017
    MadGinga likes this.
  11. MLyons

Just got it to happen. IE isn't reading the stylesheet correctly causing it to just cut off some of the properties we define. Issue also isn't present in edge. Got to love IE...................:duh:

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I just used my own PC to see if it is the same.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Firefox, Chrome, Edge and IE (all 64bit latest versions) and it is the same with IE, I won't bother uploading screenshots.

My carefully considered and well thought out advice is **** it, life is too short to be trying to get IE to follow CSS standards, we will be on Windows version 20 by the time you sort it out and IE will be just a memory. It is not as if it affects any functionality, you are better off looking into the burger issue.

13. MLyons

:thumb: I 100% agree and as no one else has complained about anything site breaking in IE I'll probably put it on the backburner.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Minor one, this, but it looks like smileys are busted when viewing article comments on the main site.

View attachment 36340

15. MLyons

hmmm. I wonder if it does it for the new ones and the old school ones.

EDIT: just tested and who would of thought. The old ones work but the new ones break.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2017
  16. MadGinga

As its IE only, dont worry 'bout it - i can live with it, if i even notice it again - i couldnt easily check so just reported it :)

17. MLyons

[​IMG]

Fingers66 likes this.
  18. MLyons

Fixed the IE issue after mentioning it in conversation to @Harry who provided a solution straight away. :rock:

MadGinga and Harry like this.
  19. Harry

Harry Lorem Ipsum

Always happy to help :thumb:

IE Cheesecake :wallbash:

Edit:
    Cant write F T W as one word changes it to 'Cheescake'. @MLyons you need to look into this...

20. MLyons

Can never have enough cheesecake