1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2017 thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 27 Nov 2016.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Considering Force India have gone full bland with their 2017 livery, I'm quite happy to see some orange, personally.

I'm just hoping 'Nando can put it on the podium a few times... The guy is just too talented to not be up at the sharp end (to this day me and my best mate still talk about how he managed to drive around Bahrain with his DRS stuck open, all the while defending his position and keeping it on the tarmac).

Still looking forward to seeing the Red Bull machine though, got a sneaking suspicion it's gonna be a bit special...

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I can't wait for testing tomorrow and we get a good look at all the cars. I think the vid that redbull have released is a render and not showing everything. But that nose...

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Well, that's not the kind of special I was expecting. I hope that nose is a dummy to throw the rest of the teams off the scent.

Just the Torro Rosso to go now, then we can start guessing at the pecking order.

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Has Haas released yet?

5. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

The Haas looks pretty standard tbh.
    [​IMG]

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

well for once the Torro Rosso isn't a lazy carbon copy of the the Red Bull

[​IMG]

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

It's just a lazy carbon copy of a can of Red Bull... But even then still an improvement over the previous however many years of the same livery - when you start low, you can only go up, I guess!

My completely uneducated, stab in the dark guess for the constructors table come December:

Merc
    RBR
    Ferrari
    McLaren
    Renault
    Torro Rosso
    Force India
    Williams
    Haas
    Sauber

8. The_Crapman

I like it. I like it a lot.

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Hmm, I think the Mclaren will explode too much for fourth, Renault fourth, FI fifth, Williams sixth, Mclaren seventh.

Sauber I think will fail to last the season, Haas and STR will fight it out for the wooden spoon.

10. javaman

11. The_Crapman

I think they should bring back tobacco sponsorship just for the liveries.

I think Red Bull will take the constructors title, but Hamilton the drivers. Bottas to completely brick it under the pressure or get found to be average at best. Ferrari far more competitive but still third, Alonso drags Mclaren to 4th with some spectacular drives in amongst some spectacular failures and vandoom impresses on debut. Renault in 5th, Torro Rosso 6th, FI 7th as occon flounders, Williams slump to 8th, Hass then sauber.

Also check out this guys vids on YouTube on the new cars, going through the new aero details etc. Pretty good watch if you're into the finer details like that.
    https://youtu.be/4We6jguHefs

12. javaman

I can see Bottas getting off to a good start but Hamilton picking up and never looking back. Bottas will pick up a win or two but Hamilton will dominate.

Red Bull will be second and fairly close to Merc performance wise but reliability and driver squabbling costing them points early on meaning they don't quite catch Merc or Hamilton.

Next is Ferrari, Renault, McLaren, Torro Rosso. Ferrari have a disastrous start to the season and internal politics affects both drivers. They pick up as the season goes on to recover to third by the end of the season. McLaren and Renault steal an early march but fade by mid season. Alonso close to the Ferraris in points but Vandoorne is clearly number 2. Torro Rosso are hurt with switching engines yet again and take time for Sainz to build momentum. Kyvatt does alright to start but Sainz clearly outshines him. All the mid teams have good races and luck/penalties decide who is better on the day.

Williams have a bad season overall. Massa gets results but is inconsistent and Stroll makes massive mistakes early on but recovers to about Massas level but is still out performed. Car Development is slow to non exsistant.

FI next. In a no mans land and completely forgotten about. Pick up points here and there from teams retiring early in the season. Reliable and some development keep them picking up points here and there

Haas and Sauber have a dreadful car but Grosjean and Wherlin look outstanding.

13. RedFlames

Unless Sauber can do what STR did last year and get lucky with some good results early on whilst their 16-spec PU is still vaguely competitive, they're pretty much a certainty to finish DFL imo.

Think Renault and McHonda will continue to struggle.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I reckon that STR could be proper quick (provided the initial Ranault engine issue they had - which delayed the launch- was just a fluke).
    It's said that STR was underpowered for a while now and focussed their dev on creating low drag cars. This COULD be a bit of a dark horse, if you ask me. That said - that Livery does nothing for me.

The Haas doesn't look bad. Deep undercuts going on there, and I like the livery on the sharkfin bits.

The RBR is inevitably going to be quick. There's suggestions that the pics we saw were just a '16 car with a new nose and wider wheels... I think they may need a digger to get all the sand outta that.
    I also think that Nose may get some protest if they go ahead with it. The opening seems a bit big for me, and that would imply dual-purpose - which everyone is doing to SOME extent, but the rules are quite clear on that.

Merc looks VERY quick - the question is mainly how much sandbagging is going on there, and whether or not they're getting a sharkfin.
    Rumours I read imply that customer teams were surprised by the power numbers they were given for their simulators.

The Ferrari - as i said before - I think they're trying to throw other teams off with the amount of wings they have.

Force India - hideous car... I am witholding judgement.

The Williams and the Sauber seem quite uneventful...

15. fix-the-spade

16. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I think the token system was making Honda's situation worse than it otherwise should have been - They have proven in Indycar they know how to make a reliable V6 turbo engine, why that hasn't carried over to the F1 units I don't know (lets face it, it's not as if all of McLaren's DNF's have been ERS related...), but I suspect they will get on top of reliability well before summer break.

But maybe that's just me hoping to see a proper Hamilton/Vettel/Ricciardo/Verstappen/Alonso fight for every podium. :worried:

17. javaman

I reckon with Liberty's takeover you could see a new supplier in a couple of seasons time.

18. fix-the-spade

The Indy Engine is a tractor motor compared to F1 though. 2.2 litres, twin turbos, limited to 12'000 rpm and 550bhp in race trim (700 for Qualifying). More displacement for less power and revs with technology that's about twenty years old.

They're allowed to rebuild them whenever they want too, something that Honda has really struggled with in F1.

19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Also factor in the Ron effect dictating they must package in x y z space. Now hes gone and Honda have been gone with a better engine layout plus the pre injection system it could be more interesting.
    At least now they will have continuous development so they can fix issues more quickly and implement improvements.

20. RedFlames

As suspected the 2017 rules have probably made the overtaking problem worse.