1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware BitFenix Prodigy review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 Sep 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Guest-17499

Guest-17499 Guest

is it as simple as unscrewing the top handles and bottom feet to remove them? or do u have to cut them off

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

These cases make great pc's for lans which is why I will be using 1 but it will be a watercooled pc so airflow aint a issue for me.

Nice Review.

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Hi fakeN, yep they both just unscrew.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

You just unscrew them. Leaves a gap where the panels fitted, but its not too noticeable if you just remove the case feet.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Can you leave the top HDD cage in when using a longer gpu (such as the GTX570)
    Because I saw a build where he did (whilst using a 6850), and wondered if that was luck, or a slightly off case.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It looks great, but I think they've missed a trick. They could have put a front slot for a slimline optical drive at the very bottom of the case, thereby accommodating a 240mm rad and a bluray/dvd drive.

8. Combatus

It purely depends how long the PCB and any shroud on the graphics card are. The PCB will need to be less than 180mm else it will foul the top 3.5in cage. However, as we found with the Zotac GTX 660 Ti, even though its shroud is longer than this, because it's raised away from the drive cages by the depth of the graphics card, it actually clears the front of the top 3.5in drive cage. However, as we said in the review, it does then overlap it, so you'd need to remove the graphics card in order to get the top 3.5in cage in and out...

9. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Don't think I could live with only 2 internal hard drive bays with a decent GPU installed.

10. Combatus

If it was vertical, then yes I dare say this will be a popular mod (horizontal would probably mean redesigning the hard disk cages) although the only optical drive I've used in the last 2 years is the blu-ray reader on my HTPC. My main rig hasn't had one for about three years!

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Realised I hadn't looked at the image properly.
    Pity because if it could be done then I'd probably go for it :(

12. Combatus

You could in theory mount your SSD with some Velcro, meaning you've have two 3.5in bays (3 drives in total). But seeing as the most SATA ports mini-ITX boards have at the moment is four, this is all you'd be able to use anyway if you have an optical drive too.

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That's why I though about a horizontal bay at the bottom. Velcro Cheesecake!

Was thinking a vertical drive might either clash with a GPU cooler (if you're only liquid cooling the CPU) and or restrict access to the HDD cage.

14. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

I have this case and absolutely love it.

I've removed all the HDD cages and the ODD bay and have my H100 in the front. Have screwed two SSD drives to the PSU cage where the HDD bay used to be and could stick one in the floor and 2 more on the side panel if I ever need to expand my storage. (so not a problem for me)

Been thinking about modding the front panel by reversing it so the ODD drive bay is at the bottom, then I could accommodate my H100 in the roof and get a BitFenix Recon fan controller which I have been drooling over.

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This, in conjunction with the CPC article using the same case, are sorely tempting me to ditch the irrelevant parts of my current build and create a mini watercooled monster.

16. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Holy Gpu cooling batman! At the moment Gpu cooling is more important to me since it's a load sod when it gets going.

17. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Nope, top cage must be removed for longer cards.

18. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I moved by dual 120mm 60mm radiator watercooling loop into a bitfenix prodigy a few weeks ago. needed some modding for pump mounts, case feet and cutting down the drive bay to fit a drive controller and the radiator behind it, but its so much smaller than my old Akasa Omega and just as quiet (used all the same fans after all).

This and the Intel P8Z77-I = win

19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Velcro ? Are you guys nuts ? There is place for two 2.5" drives on the side panel (that mesh on the side panel: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2012/09/bitfenix-prodigy-review/7-1280x1024.jpg ), plus you can mount another on the PSU cage (not sure if they are accessible if you have the HDD bays still there). Plus one on the bottom of the case.

http://files.bitfenix.com/qig/Prodigy_QIG.rar
    Page 7 - 3 additional 2.5" drives.
    Page 8 - 2 additional 2.5" drives.
    Without using any of the 3.5" positions.

My biggest issue with my Prodigy (the Cerberus computer bellow) ? It is sliding way too much on my desk. My Prodigy is doing "Do you want to press the power button on me ? Oh, sorry, i will move away instead" :D

Last edited: 6 Sep 2012
  20. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I'm wondering - could you pack a 690 in there and still have room for water cooling? (as shown in CPC)

Tags: Add Tags