1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Budget Case.... which one?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by nico, 15 May 2002.

1. nico

nico What's a Dremel?

Ok, couldnt fin a forum really appropriate for this.. but since I'm gonna mod the case eventually it'll do =)

I need a cheap fulltower for a budget system. Its gotta be big, very silent (im talking about the structure, not the PSU itself), and be mod friendly.

Two things have come into mind. Aopen hx08. I can fit two 120mm fans in the front, and some big one in the rear aswell.

Adnother would be the InWin 600 or whatever its called. (the front is kinda similar to hx08). Although that case is not available in norway.

So.. what do you think? Are they noisy? Does the PSUs on any of them make such an annoying buzzing sound? Does it vibrate a lot from HDD and fans?

well.. any other ideas for cases are also welcome.

2. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

if you tell me what price limit you consider to still be budget then i can have a look around for you.

3. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

setting a budget does help....psu fans do tend to be quite loud, hdd should be minimal if you get something like a seagate...

with 120mm fans, you will have to run them at 7v to get them to be quieter yet they might still be louder then 80mm fans...

HX08 is a very good choice, as its a brilliant case...

something like this from overclockers could also be considered...

[​IMG]
    Juno P6 Full Tower - Twin PSU Capable (1x300W PSU)
    Price: £61.20 (£71.91 Including VAT at 17.5%)

this can be seen at:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_ATX_Cases_35.html

but depending on the price id go for the HX...

4. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

or if you can splash out a bit more you can get a full tower dragon with out the psu from www.overclock.co.uk

5. nico

nico What's a Dremel?

i once had a dragon for my "main" system. awful stuff. the sidedoors made a horrible sound. so did the hdd cage. I ended up buying a pc75 for it instead (lian li). so id rather not... :/
    another reason is that the full tower doesnt fit where i want to put it, too tall. the hx08 is the perfect height.

and i dont want a case which covers the drives either..

and the hdd is an awful awful awful ibm hdd i have around. its rather noisy and the last thing i need is that the case vibrates along with it. itll probably vibrate anyways with that hdd, maybe i will mount it with such things they use in the hdd noisekiller stuff (i dont know the name... eeeep)

and price limit.. well i think in norwegian money, and computer stuff are generally more expensive in norway so i dont really know....

is there some uk shop or something that has the InWin S600 (i think thats the name), and would ship it to norway?

and i still have the power from the dragon, which has been very quiet and very good, unlike the rest of the case. so.. psu isnt really needed. (although id have some uses for it anyways)

6. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

nothing on my dragon case makes a sound.

7. nico

nico What's a Dremel?

i get quite a lot of that actually. i only say what happened to _my_ case. i dont think its a bad product. (since soo many people have that case these days), but my case didnt live up to its expectations. anyways, it might had just been my sample, but the sidedoors where noisy as hell. (and i tried tighening tthose screws back there as hard is i possiblly could with a drill.)

anyways, lets get back on track, please.

EDIT: i also notices that you have a silver colored one (probably with a fan in the side door even). I have the first version, which was only available in beige, and no fan on the side. It could be that they made some improvements on the new.. thats all.

8. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

have you decided a budget yet?

9. nico

nico What's a Dremel?

didnt read that at first.. a 120mm fan will blow more air than a 80mm fan at the same rpm and still be quieter. (also depends on the way its build ofcrouse.. like those things in there that i dont know the name of..in english.. :/) ofcourse you can get crazy deltas that blow tons and tons of air, but i have some nice panaflo's lying around which i can run at about 7-9 volts to make completely inaudible.

you probably already knew that =), but atleast now you know that i also know that =)