1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Build Log] **White Metropolis** A Liquid-Cooled Modular CaseLabs S5+Ped Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by guitarhero23, 27 Mar 2015.

1. guitarhero23

guitarhero23 What's a Dremel?

Update:

Day off. Took today off from the build for one of the only days since I started (Although I did technically design the sticker for the HDD which took like 1 hour). My poor guitar has been sad for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkOOwN_qpGc

2. guitarhero23

Designed a sticker replacement for the HDD's and the PSU, neither of which will really be seen but I'm going for attention to detail here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gave my build an 80 PLUS BLUE rating :D , we will call it better than titanium rating?

3. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Blue Berry. I LOLed! Attention to detail indeed!

4. guitarhero23

BIG Update:
    [​IMG]

Update Time Fella's.

So I got the cables from Ensourced yesterday as well as a small package from PPC's (they forgot to put something in it though :(. I'm being very particular about cable management and keeping everything as clean as possible so I spent a good amount of time figuring out where to run cables and what looks best and also takes up the least amount of room. I'm making it so clean I might have to order an XL window door for the PSU side too, it was originally going to be the side I could be messy.

Anyway lots of good things got done. See the pictures. I'm keeping a couple items secret until bending starts which "should" be tonight. I will say the mid-plate came out exactly as I hoped it would. I also bent the acrylic PSU cover I had laser cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sleeved Darkside LED cables
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wasn't planning on sleeving these but I was in a good mood and this is probably the point when I decided to go overkill on details
    [​IMG]

Ensourced
    [​IMG]

Testing Where light shines, how it fits, and cable routing for them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Custom PSU Cover (I'm so glad I didn't mess this up while bending....)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

]This acrylic sheet I made for the floor here is serving many purposes. Pump Mount, Cable Management, Fan Splitter Mount, Pass Through for cable to pedestal
    [​IMG]

Vinyl PSU (Sticker Replacement I'm doing today)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't wait to show you guys the midplate and the PSU cover fully completed with LED's and the safety paper off. Tube bending should start tonight. See you soon!

5. guitarhero23

Update:
    [​IMG]

Here is a quick video during the hardline tubing process. I want to get this done so will wait to post good pictures until then but wanted to updates SOMETHING.

https://youtu.be/2NuP-moiAXc

6. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

That little piece of white tube looks good man! It looks like if you tried to extend that clear tube to that rad, it would be a MAJOR pain in the butt, and would most likely take several tries and wasted tube to get it perfect. What you've done looks pretty sweet!

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

The case is looking good. Nice and clean.

8. guitarhero23

Thanks, that's really a high priority, which is why I also got my custom cables with little to no extra slack.

9. guitarhero23

One. More. Tube. To. Go. (GPU)

I rush ordered and overnighted an order of tube +fittings+misc stuff from PPC's but...they never sent my things out today even though I was talking with them on the phone. To be fair I did have them combine orders but the guy told me exactly what to put and it should go out today, well I never got the email.

ANYWAY.

Fixed that U shaped tube at the bottom. Installed the acrylic plate to see how it looked that goes from front rad to MOBO tray to coverup the mess downstairs (even though it's gonna be super clean). You can see the holes in it. 1 for CPU cable, 1 for the tube going from Rad to RAM (Hurray for no 90 degree fittings!) 1 hole for 24pin and 2 holes for the GPU cables. The front power/reset cables I sleeved white and will feed straight down where that open square is and underneath the MOBO tray for super stealthiness. So it appears that I won't get my overnight tomorrow and instead will Wednesday which is going to be my "attempt to finish everything and start leak testing" day because my girlfriend comes back from school Thursday and I want to give her tons of attention since we are long distance when she is at school.

Here is a small low light update for the time being.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. guitarhero23

UPDATE:
    [​IMG]

This is the LAST update before the final photos take place. I didn't post about it but when leak testing I had a slight issue with my midplate. Basically the photo paper got in between the pass through and the c47 and soaked up little bits of water which ruined the look of it. In order to fix the paper I had to take THE WHOLE THING apart because the pump that goes through the mid chassis is literally snug right against it. Then I fixed it, accidentally spilled water on it. Then I fixed it, then I spilled AGAIN, I'm so stupid. ANYWAY. The build is basically complete!!! I just have to figure out why the LED's start out bright when I first turn it on, then slowly dim down to almost nothing. It's plugged into a distribution block which is plugged into CHA_FAN1 I'm hoping if I crank up the fan speed in the BIOS or something it'll fix it so that's next on my list (Can anyone confirm this?)

Here are some progress photos from the work since last time and a couple teaser pictures to keep you interested for the final photos.

After much bending I wanted to take the easy way out
    [​IMG]

Couldn't let myself
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Guess it's true what they say about Bitspower fittings being tough to turn!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Low Light Teaser Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click for some .gif goodness!
    http://gfycat.com/PepperyIncredibleEwe
    http://i.imgur.com/OOosMMJ.gifv

Quick Connect/Disconnect Demo (Full walk through in final update)
    https://youtu.be/qCfOaIDLgIE

Last edited: 2 May 2015
  11. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Damn man, that looks great!! You take excellent pics, and those tube bends look perfect!! Excellent work!! :rock:

12. Icelander

Icelander Minimodder

nice blue color mate !

13. guitarhero23

Sneak peak on the final picture release. Be prepared for outdoors, inside with light, AND night shots for this thing. I'll be getting them on here tomorrow! It's getting late now I fear people will be sleeping! Plus I have a video i'm going to post rendering right now. Using 84% of my i7 and 11GB of RAM to do it! Jeez. My old computer could not function if I was rendering lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. guitarhero23

FINAL PICTURES:
    [​IMG]

Well guys it's been a long journey and I learned a ton. Thanks for sticking around. I'll let the final pictures speak for themselves. Also check out the video at the end for a walkthrough of the thinking behind the valve and pedestal quick disconnect system which was the inspiration as to why I made the build the way I did. Now I just need some sponsored parts so I don't have to wait 3 years to build again!

I would apologize about the amount of pictures but I just have nothing to hide so I'll show you every angle!

Studio Lighting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Case LED's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pedestal Off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Outside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pedestal Off+On Desk
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pedestal ON+On Desk
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All FINAL photos + Rest of build photos here: http://imgur.com/a/GlWI1

Quick Disconnect System Overview
    https://youtu.be/qWUaBdUSAxc

Stay tuned for an overall build VLOG in the coming week that spans the whole build including things I never showed in the build logs.

15. Ocelot

Ocelot Minimodder

Congrats on completing your build! Incredible attention to detail.

I love your "studio lighting" photos. Could you perhaps elaborate a bit on what kind of setup you were using? Specifically background and lights?

16. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Great pics man!! Love how it turned out! :rock:

17. guitarhero23

Very simple setup. Pretty much what this kit is

[​IMG]

I only used one of the lights and a black backdrop. That and a cheap DSLR, Canon T3

18. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Cracking build and epic photos:thumb:
    Love the methodical way that you have done this.

Only small thing that would prickle my analness for perfection is that I would have extended the shroud around the PSU to cover the cables and give a super sleek look.

Apart from that- cracking, cracking build :rock:

19. guitarhero23

Agreed if it was easier, but I have tubing down there so was unable

20. CMos

CMos What's a Dremel?

Awesome build! The VGA backplate is looking stunning!