1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Building a Modular PSU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 21 Sep 2007.

1. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Because ours go to 11...

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I can see the point in makin your own Modular PSU, and i somewhat understand those who say it's fugly.But this is a "how to" people, not a finished mod in itself mmkay??

3. Stonewall78

Stonewall78 What's a Dremel?

As was posting in the thread about this mod, using a DB25 is not a very good idea. Those pins are good for about 1 amp max. I think this mod is good in theory but it should be noted in the article that a DB25 is not the best connector to be using. Personally I don't care how it looks, I just care that it is safe and if someone uses that connector on a high wattage supply it won't be.

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I have put a note in on the second page regarding the DB25 and higher wattage PSUs. :) I hope this helps!

5. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

There are 2 faster ways to discharge the capacitors:

1. Pull the power while the pc is running. The power cable. Even if you just start it up and pull the power cable out 3 seconds later, it works.

2. Unplug the power cord, but keep the power switch on the back of the psu on. Then just press the pc power switch a few times. The fans will spin for a second or so, and then you're done. Capacitors drained.

6. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the how-to! I'd like to see more of this kind of thing on Bit-Tech, it's quite useful.

7. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

neat mod, Brett.. thanks for the that.. though I think I'd be too chicken to go soldering wires in a PSU myself :p

8. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

awesome.

i can see this being used on my soon to be fileserver

9. Flax

Flax What's a Dremel?

I, for one, think this is a great article.

It may not make as pretty a picture as the photos of projects that have taken months and a pile of money, but it nicely complements the other "something to try"-style guides that have been popping up on Bit again recently.

As for "What's the point"? Well, I'm sure no one can deny the flair and creativity that goes into typing a credit card number at OcUK.

10. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Lol yeah, I cant believe people are asking this question. The DIY modular PSU is a mod, this is a site full of mods. Is there a point to any of it? Do we really need to have nice looking computers? No of course we dont, but we do it anyway!

11. Kasvain

Kasvain What's a Dremel?

Great mod,

Some people want to build/mod everything by themselves.
    I have a modded 300W cheap chinese PSU. I've changed the
    connectors and fan + fangrill. :dremel:

12. Omni-Blade

Omni-Blade Duh... Which Way To Go George...

Hi all, im new to bit-tech and also modding but i would like to say good idea on the cheap PSU mod, i think its a great way to make a HTPC look that little bit better with out spending a fortune.

i also feel sorry for the people that cant stop and see the idea rather then pick at something that you could do better with if you spent the xtra money on, its about the mod

nice work Da Dego.

13. Risky

Risky Modder

Good stuff. I've attacked a few PSUs before, generally adding or removing fans, but also to insert temp sensors.

I have a long delayed mod to my Neopower to add a pair of 240V neon indicators shining down into the case.. One before the switch in Red to indicate that it has mains power and one in green that it is switched on.

Must get back to it some day.

(Actually I remember a how to post on PSU mods I made being stickied on OCS forums many moons ago!)

14. Starman97

Starman97 What's a Dremel?

Digikey datasheet says the contacts are rated a 3Amps each.
    I See 2 yellow, 5 red on my ATX, thats 12V@6A and 5V@15A ,
    not a whole lot, 72W + 75W if you map DB25 pins to ATX,
    dont forget a Ground for each power wire.

Dont try to run an 8800GTX SLI on this, nor a 2.8GHz Core2, but for a low power HTPC you should be OK.
    If you need more power and the Supply is rated, add another DB25 or use a different connector, Digikey.com
    is great for just looking things up, they have datasheets for almost everything they sell.

15. w0lv3r1n3

w0lv3r1n3 What's a Dremel?

Nice Mod.. Where did you get the Microphone ( XLR ) jacks from?
    And can you just buy any one's, or do you need to get the right male-female
    XLR plugs?

Thanx

16. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

I know I'm a bit late to the party and all, but does anyone know if you can safely combine wires of the same colour and split them out again. Basically I run an OCZ 600W PSU (non-modular) outside my HTPC case because I couldn't find a >500W micro ATX unit. What I'd like to do is use one of those circular bayonet fitting multi-pin connectors that has 20 pins max, and then branch out the wires on the inside of the case. to the various components. I'm certain I can get away with it on the ground wires, but not so sure if I combine a bunch of +12V wires on different rails that I won't end up with a smoldering apartment. Would I be better off modding a PCP&C unit with a single massive 12V rail?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I wouldn't - you're talking some serious amp-age there, it's not worth the electrocution risk.

18. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Its possible, but you would need a connector that can handle like 30A, and i think you will have a job finding that

Also, as Bindi said, thats some serious amperage to be messing around with

19. labsman

labsman Tech. hungry gadget freak!...

Whoah, way soo cool dude... Plannin to have this mode on my PSU, i hate cable management....

20. Chris Beard

Chris Beard What's a Dremel?

Great guide - clear concise and well written. Only one on the internet I could find on this subject. I want to do this mod as I have a passive PSU. I could not find a passive power supply with modular cables. I could barely find one in my price range at all. This should be an awesom mod to help reduce the mess in my case.

There's an e-bay seller shop called allpartspipe that seems to do these in set so of 3. Not tried her/him yet though.

Tags: Add Tags