1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Buying a new television

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freshsandwiches, 13 Oct 2010.

1. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Hello everyone,

I've decided to purchase a new television and I need some buying advice. I'm replacing an old CRT so I've never actually bought any of the the larger flat screen displays.

Budget is £600 and I would prefer it to be at least 40". Full HD preferably for movies and the new virgin box is capable of HD as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations or know of a reliable buyers guide that I should read before hand?

Thanks.

2. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Hold off a few months and get a Samsung UE40B7020 in the January sales

3. wormy

wormy Minimodder

+1 to the above, if you can hold off until the sales. If not...there are I think 3 magazines reviewing tvs that you'll likely find in most newsagents; What hi-fi etc., LCD and plasma tv and another. I wouldn't take any of them as bible you might see some consistent good and bad ones.

Samsungs have come on very well of late and are usually well priced. Sony's are normally reliable, though pricier. You can find a good Panasonic if you choose carefully.

LG I don't think are generally the best choice, unless budget doesn't permit otherwise. I had a Philips that I loved (with ambilight) but it wouldn't restart after a firmware upgrade :(

£400 for a 40" will be tight though and won't allow a lot of choice. Richer Sounds are worth keeping an eye on, though not all of their stock is worth getting - some of it is rather too old in my view. They do, however, have bargains from time to time.

4. freshsandwiches

Budget is £600.

Thanks for the replies guys. I understand that it would make sense to wait until the sales. Might just do that, but I've putting it off for ages already lol.

Probably waiting for the period between 26th of Dec and Jan 1st would be a good idea, avoiding the VAT increase in the UK as well.

Anyone spotted any bargains for £600 just now?

5. McLovin9091

McLovin9091 I Have used a Dremel

I've had a Daewoo 42" plasma for a year and a half, never been one for its got to be a samsung, sony etc although i do agree that they are of better quailty.

I always get one that does what i need it to do, i.e. 2HDMI ports, full HD, Component while these are all common now. What im getting at is don't buy one that is of no use to you i.e. 3D TVs, don't want it, don't need it.

Also thanks for teh reminder that the VAT goes up, i'm moving back to the UK on the 20th and will be kitting out ma new house with pretty much everything. Im gonna be busy in the sales. :)

6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

7. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Keep your eyes peeled on deals for a Panasonic. They really are the best brand in terms of reliability and quality for the price. My father worked in this industry for nearly 40 years and swears by them or Sony with the latter carrying a higher price tag.

8. Bing

Bing Every day is a learning day!

Couldn't agree more. A couple of months ago, I upgraded my LG LCD to a Panasonic TX-L42D26 LED - one that was heads and shoulders above other LED's in terms of picture quality and processing, plus a lower response time for gaming. The sounds quality isn't the best, but the free home theatre deal sweetener makes up for that.

As for the £600 range, I have to say that I loved my LG. The colours weren't the most vibrant but the picture quality was excellent and the sound was better than my new Panasonic.

It really is a hard decision you've got to make!! I don't envy you. :idea:

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

10. Sanzy

Sanzy Minimodder

This looks very good i might just get one my self!

11. tj010480

tj010480 What's a Dremel?

Ditto what people have said about the Panasonic TV's they always come out on top in recent which magazines, also just head into John Lewis or Curry's and take a look at some of the screens yourself assuming you haven't already done so. The clarity on the 600hz tvs are amazing :)

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I've got the same TV as you Bing. It's amazing the difference in picture over the equivalent Samsung or LG! I didn't get the free home cinema though, they'd run out. Got a blu-ray instead though.

13. freshsandwiches

I think I'll take a wee trip to Costco next week and price the televisions they have. They offer a 5 year warranty (as long as your a member) and also a 90 day return policy.

14. blueviper11

blueviper11 What's a Dremel?

nice one:clap:

15. freshsandwiches

Hello,

Since I posted this thread I decided to hold off buying a TV. Today however I spied a bargain and I bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42S20B-42-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B0039SLYH8

I bought it in Costco for £458. It has a five year warranty (as long as you have a Costco membership) and a 90 "changed my my mind" return policy as well. Originally Costco sent some vouchers to me with £80 off this TV, making it £519, but they reduced it again making it £458.

I think it's a bargain, what do you guys think?

16. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Not so nice, the deal for the sub £600 does not include vat, you have to pay that VAT up front then claim it back from Sony early next year.

@fresh, its well inside your budget - if you're happy with the telly it's a bargain, if you conclude you were hoping for better then it ain't!

Also just bought a new telly, the 40NX713...it's pretty...

17. freshsandwiches

I'm quite happy that I got a decent television (well) within my budget. As I said in the OP I'm replacing a CRT, which looks like a portable telly compared to this thing.

Gz on your purchase of your Sony. Blows my budget out of the water entirely.

18. blueviper11

blueviper11 What's a Dremel?

If I was you i will buy SONY 46NX713.:wallbash: Because I bought SONY 40" W few year back. And now I want 46" or 50". SONY BRAVIA KDL46HX903 or 46NX713:thumb:

19. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm a bit late to this party, but congrats on getting a Panasonic plasma. Plasma is still king of image quality and you've got to love those 180 degree viewing angles (at more than 180 degrees you'll be looking at the back of the tv set :)). And now that Pioneer has left the stage Panasonic does the best plasmas, although Samsung's latest models get closer.

In all honesty, though, Panasonic's plasmas don't look as sexy as e.g. some Samsung LED, but isn't image quality what it all boils down to in the end? :)

PS: Shame you couldn't find a good price on the TX-P42G20B. It's just that bit better... :)