1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calculating Power Consumption

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Muzza, 25 Oct 2005.

1. Muzza

Muzza What's a Dremel?

I can't remember if it was on here or somewhere else I saw it, but there was a site where you could plug in your PC specs and it would calculate the estimated size of PSU you would need.

I've done a search but can't find it, can anyone remember or know the site i'm on about?

Cheers,

2. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

This one has the capability to include any sort of overclock in the figure, as well as things such as watercooling pumps, fans, etc.

However, you must remember that the wattage is not important - it's the available current on the +12V rail, as this is where modern video cards and processors get their power. For example, a generic power supply from Ebuyer says "600W", yet 18 amps on the +12V rail is pathetic. Even the Tagan 380 watt model has 22A!

To give you an idea, modern high-performance systems require about 27A+ on the +12V rail to run comfortably. SLI rigs will need in excess of 30A when combined with a top-end processor. Factor in heavy overclocks and you're talking 34A+. However, 24A should be sufficient for most modern computers and leaves some headroom for future drives etc. :)

4. Muzza

Muzza What's a Dremel?

cool, I think that was the one, looks like it has been updated since I last saw it.

Thanks! :D

5. Muzza

Muzza What's a Dremel?

Ahh, the 2nd one posted was the one I had seen before, both are usefull though!

Cheers to both of you!