1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other CCleaner Security Notification

Discussion in 'Software' started by Corky42, 18 Sep 2017.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Thought it maybe a good idea to let people know Piriform have announced hackers managed to compromise their network and by the looks of it replaced the 32 bit versions of CCleaner 5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud 1.07.3191.

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Piriform seem to be saying update to 5.34xx and you'll be fine, but I've read some independent advice suggesting restoring/reverting the whole system to before you installed 5.33.6162.

I guess sometimes it pays to be slack with updates. Also, I'm one of those people that make a point of installing a 64bit version even if there is no obvious benefit.

Was thinking of ditching CCleaner after the Avast buyout anyway. Funny that this is the first thing that happens after Piriform get bought out by a *security* company.

Anyone use BleachBit?

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I rely on CCleaner a lot. I didn't know that Avast had bought them...
    I usually put Avast on the family PCs, but just moving to ESET at work

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Neither did i until wolfticket mentioned it, I'll take a wait an see approach before looking for another cleaner, I'm not a lover of Avast because of past bad experiences with their malware like tactics of the past.

@wolfticket, I've not used many other cleaners for long other than CCleaner, I've been considering giving System Ninja a go though as it's developed by the same guys who made CCEnhancer, Avast taking over CCleaner (is it just that or all of Piriform?) maybe all the motivation i need.