1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Cheap coax or optical S/PDIF DAC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cupboard, 16 Feb 2011.

1. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Having had issues with onboard sound, external sound cards and an internal sound card with high pitched squeaks which change note depending on what my computer is doing, I'm investigating using the optical output from my motherboard.

Basically, I'm after something cheap that will take the S/PDIF output and give me sound! Doesn't have to be massively high end or have loads of features, the simpler the better. Any suggestions?

Last edited: 17 Feb 2011
  2. Deders

Deders Modder

have you tried any of those with your current PC?

Are you sure it's the soundcard? some components squeal when under stress, some GTX260's are famous for it, motherboards can also be the culprit. Did you try turning your speakers off to see if the squeal went away?

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

4. Cupboard

I have tried all of these with my current PC and it is definitely the sound output not a component. It will be being caused by a different component but I'm not sure what it is. Based on the fact that it gets worse when my computer warms up, I'm guessing it is the PSU.

Given that I still have issue using two different external sound cards, will an EMI shield help?

edit: I've now tried it with the onboard coax S/PDIF output using a bodged header to Phono pin jack cable, and that works fine with no squeaking. Unfortunately, I have to give the thing I'm using as a DAC back :( Currently, my computer has a 31 band GEQ sat on top of it :p

Last edited: 16 Feb 2011
  5. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  6. Cupboard

That's one of the USB ones I've tried and it has squeaky issues, same as everything else. Thanks for the suggestion though, it's been really good on my laptop which has got awful audio output (but no squeaks!).

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Beresford DACs are good for the money - a lot of hype, but don't pay any attention to that (no they're not the best DAC in the world), but cheap and decent.

http://www.beresford.me/main/main.html

8. Cupboard

They look really nice, however they have more features than I need (I only need one input) and are way out of my price range unfortunately.

Damn this "doing this on a small budget" lark :p

9. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

10. Cupboard

That would be ideal, thanks :)

edit: I'm such an idiot, why did I not think of looking on Amazon? I searched through ebay (the only affordable ones were dodgy looking Chinese ones) forums etc. Silly Cupboard.

edit2: got one for £29

edit3: finally got it all working, and with the optical connection it's great. Still had the issues with the coax one, but hey ho.
    So, thanks for all the help :)

Last edited: 4 Mar 2011