1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Chrome overtakes Safari

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jan 2010.

1. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

Chrome is definitely a lot faster than Firefox to start up, especially over time, and the speed increases are in JavaScript, not page loading; for example, javascript/ajax heavy sites like Gmail load faster in Chrome (not just because gmail is owned by google). IE8 is not that bad, but I seem to notice all versions of IE like to hang up at inopportune times while rendering pages, not to mention that it's JS engine is ancient now. Plus, a lot of the extensions I use with Firefox to customize the layout to be more minimalist aren't necessary in chrome which speeds things up even more (personal preference, of course).
    If you're worried about privacy, there is a version of Chromium called SRWare Iron that doesn't have any of the privacy-invading features of Chrome. I use the Chromium nightly builds and update probably once a week. I still like to use Firefox most of the time, but Chrome is looking better and better over time.

ps- forgot to mention the whole sandboxing thing; that's great when flash decides to crap out in one tab with twenty others open, I won't have to start over again.

2. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

****, i guess when ubuntu updated chrome for me a week or 2 back and i then installed several working extentions without problem i broke the rules.
    The beta works fine, it just doesnt have a round number tacked on the end.

3. saltyzip

saltyzip What's a Dremel?

I have never tried FF, as IE did everything I needed. However I thought I would give Chrome a go on Win 7, and I am glad I did.

It is blazingly fast compared to IE 8 and I love the tab home page and the removal of the waste of space title bar, the latter being especially important on notebooks to view more on screen.

Would suggest installing chrome via the dev or beta channel to ensure you have silverlight support:

Download and run the installer for the desired channel:
    Dev channel: http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?extra=devchannel
    Beta channel: http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?extra=betachannel

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I tried IE, FF and chrome. And chrome felt like it downloaded the pages quicker, so i've stuck with it.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

FF for me thank you

I didn't really like chrome, it seemed too simple for me or I just didn't use it long enough

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Thanks for the SRware link, will give it a go. :thumb:

7. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

:) you lucky you!!! so it's only mac version left out, anyway you cannot install any extensions on win unless you use beta version

8. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

and still, no firebug, well, there's firebug lite but i find it redundant as you've got dom inspector part of chrome (it's webkit) so firebug lite is exactly the same thing, maybe small differencies but the main one is missing - editing css on the fly

9. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Google spyware is why I installed SRWare Iron. It is the Chrome browser only they take out all the creepy Google spyware code and recompile it.

10. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

... demonstrating another clear benefit to consumers from the Open Source development model.

I also used to use the nightly builds of Chromium on my Arch Linux box but found myself gravitating back to FF for two reasons:
    - 'search for text when I start typing'
    - NoScript add-on

I would never use IE out of principal. MS's refusal to make it standards-compliant in a shame-faced attempt to gain control web standards (due to the power of IE's market share), I find abhorent.

As to Chrome vs Safari, is Safari actually relevant anymore?

Tags: Add Tags