1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Computer Won't Wake Up (hopefully simple fix)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by davey_wavey, 18 May 2011.

1. davey_wavey

davey_wavey What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded to lovely Sandy Bridge system (see sig for specs) and it went without a hitch EXCEPT one little annoying problem: When my PC falls into its really low power sleep mode, it can't wake up correctly.

Once it starts to deep sleep, everything powers off except the power light which just blinks. When I press the power button (or wiggle the mouse or press a key etc) the PC sounds as if it is waking up i.e. all the fans start up and the power light comes on. However, the screen doesn't come back on and neither does the lights for my keyboard and mouse.

What I have to do is hold the power button until the PC switches off, and then press it again to restart the PC. The strange thing is that when Windows loads it begins 'Resuming Windows' and loads back exactly where I was at.

The only potential solution I could find on Google was to change "Allow hybrid sleep" to "Off" in power options but that didn't seem to do anything.

TLDR: computer won't wake up from deep sleep unless i turn off and on, but then resumes anyway.

Thanks in advance

David

P.S. I'm running Windows 7 64bit

Last edited: 18 May 2011
  2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Open the command line prompt as true Administrator, type:
    C: and hit enter
    and then type: powercfg /energy
    This will generate an HTML report in C:\, which you can view and see problems.

Also ensure that you have the latest drivers for everything, and latest BIOS.

What basically is happening is that teh system waits for a device or devices to wake up, but it doesn't. It could be the GPU, the motherboard itself, the USB controller, the Ethernet and so on.

3. davey_wavey

Many thanks for the reply.

Windows Update thinks everything is up-to-date and I will check my BIOS now.

Here is the result of the powercfg:

And the 4 errors were:

4. GoodBytes

Ok very good, now remove your USB devices until the error disappear. If it's your keyboard and mouse, then that is fine, don't worry about it, it's not that the problem.

If that doesn't help, then it's a driver or hardware problem.

Open Device manager and make sure everything is installed correctly (no yellow "!" icon, or
    "?" icons).

Don't check your Windows Update for your drivers.. I mean it's good in Win7, but it can be 1 version behind, which might have this bug.

Check the network card manufacture website (not ASUS) for the latest drivers, same for your chipset (see Intel website), sound card (see ASUS website, as it's an ASUS own sound acrd), and Nvidia for the latest GPU drivers.

If you have any bluetooth adapter, TV-Tuner, remove them for now, to help us isolate the problem.

5. Sagman76

Sagman76 What's a Dremel?

I also have this problem since I built my Sandy Bridge system and had given up trying fixes. Will try this suggestion and report back. I hope I can sort it its a pain not being able to put the system into sleep mode:(

6. davey_wavey

It's definitely not my USB devices (I only have wireless dongle, keyboard and mouse plugged in) as I unplugged everything except my mouse and it failed. Then repeated with just the keyboard with the same result.

No yellow ! to report in the device manager...

I've just updated my BIOS and am in the process of finding updates to my drivers but it seems I'm pretty much up-to-date.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again

7. GoodBytes

You have never confirmed me that you have the latest drivers from your network card manufacture, USB 3.0, Nvidia, and so on. I want you to get the drivers from THEIR website, NOT Windows Update.

8. Sagman76

Updated all my drivers reset my bios to optimized defaults and reset all my power plans to default. I had it on high performance now on balanced. I now have sleep mode fully working.
    Thanks for the help and sorry to jump in this thread but glad I did.
    thanks a lot

9. GoodBytes

Very good.

You want your computer in Balance, to reduce system noise, heat, and power. You don't nee your computer at full speed to browse folders :)

10. Sagman76

I think its because I came from a M11x and was using Laptop methology possibly. It does seem quieter now you come to say it!
    First build steep learning curve Glad there is help from folk like yourself mr goodbytes so thanks a million:thumb:

11. GoodBytes

Yes, the first time is always tricky.. but your next build you'll be more comfortable and easier to do. And tehn after your 3rd or 4th, it will be natural. :)

Glad I could help.

12. Sagman76

Oh dear it's back! I have reset bios uninstalled bluetooth etc it's not USB related but seems to be to do with overclock. So far I have found that ram at 1600mhz is fine. Will do light sleep and idle to sleep. It seems this is a common problem see here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1589943&page=1
    I am going to disable pll overvolt as suggested a few times in various threads to see if that does anything. Also try MST to see what that throws up.
    Real pain this is as sleep us so handy argggg

13. GoodBytes

That would be more a motherboard issue.. my personally experience suggest don't overclock memory. It's not worth it. 1600MHz is plenty fast intensive gaming, you don't need faster, other than boost your benchmark score...which to be frank, who cares. Benchmarks never reflect real life in any case.

14. Sagman76

The RAM is 4gb corsair vengeance 1600 but when in bios they only show as 1333 unless you manually change it to 1600. It must be to do with CPU overclock?? I used the guide out of apr 2011 CP. Change multi to 45 set CPU voltage 1.3 disable spectrum spread. the RAM is at 1.5v. I'm one of many it seems with the same issue. I'm like a dog with a bone now.....

15. GoodBytes

Like I said, in the BIOS, you have an option called extreme Memory profile (X.M.P), Set it to Profile 1. When you do, it will detect your RAM settings. Gigabyte board have this since X58 chip-set, because Intel pulled the auto detection system. If you don't have it.. then it really sucks.

16. Sagman76

I have the p8p67 and it has got xmp so I will select this. I am a noob to all this so I appreciate your advice. I have subscribed to CP for 2 years before saving enough to build my system. everything is awesome coming from xbox there's no turning back and I love tinkering but my god there's so many things to learn. I didn't think sleep issues would be one of them. I was more concerned it would not work at all. Frustrating yes but I'm kind of liking the problem solving/learning aspect

17. Sagman76

XMP enabled Pll Voltage disabled no more sleep problems hooray

18. GoodBytes