1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Cool Components' email database taken in apparent data breach

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Feb 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Impossible

Impossible What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone else that Cool components have not delivered the news in the best way?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They should be emailing everyone, for a start. Their Twitter account is followed by a fraction of the company's customer base, so it's no place to make an announcement.

But what do I know? I'm 'a poor journalist who doesn't check facts' - a claim Cool Components made a good two hours into my investigation, and after refusing to answer my questions via email (the questions I sent so I could check the facts.) That was after claiming that 'we're asking u whether you've called @robosavvy because it's incredibly lazy journalism to shoot mouth off b4 u have the facts.'

That's right, ladies and gents: it's 'incredibly lazy journalism' to spend multiple hours researching a story and attempting communication with the parties involved.

I'm a former Cool Components customer myself. Emphasis on the former.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

All of this defensiveness and journo bashing looks to me as though there was a massive hole in their security and they're trying their hardest to brush it under the rug and clear it up quietly rather than acting like an adult and admitting fault. All of this name calling does nothing to help their reputation.

Besides, Gareth, we know you're a proper journalist with integrity. If those nasty people at Cool Components get you down, you can always come here for a hug :worried:

6. Gareth Halfacree

[​IMG]

7. jewelie

jewelie Ancient geek, newbie to BT

One for Information Commissioner's Office, I do believe