1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cooling Issues + Other Questions.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dashie, 6 Jan 2013.

1. Dashie

Dashie What's a Dremel?

Hey everybody! Dashie here!

So, I came here for a few questions I hope can be answered.

1,) My Phenom II x4 975 has been running extremely hot lately.. I know the default heatsink in is, well, awful.. But these are "above" above average temperatures.. Currently, the CPU idles at about 57'C steady. When under load (Rendering 1080p in Vegas Pro, playing BF3, etc) it shoots up to about 71'C. I replaced the thermal paste back in September, and applied it correctly. (Arctic Silver) After doing that, it would idle at about 47'C. Better, but not quite what I want.

I plan on picking up the Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler soon, hoping it will fix the cooling problem. As well as the Zalman Z9 case. Should this help? Or is there something I can / should do about it? (Case should be here this Monday)

1.5,) I also plan on OC'ing my CPU (Of course when and or if I get temps stable and cool)
    I'm running an ASUS motherboard, and it comes with the AUTO-OC software in the BIOS.

I'm running my CPU at stock 3.6ghz, so anything more is an improvement for me. What I'm getting at is I don't want to attempt to OC it by hand and run in to permanent issues, so I want to let the tool do it for me. Is it safe, though? Are there often reports of Over-OCing and, well.. wrecking the CPU or anything? Would OC'ing it show a difference in games?

2,) I'm running the Sapphire 6870 1gb card. Right now, I'm overclocking it via AMD OverDrive in CCC. I've got it at 950/1100 The card doesn't overheat at full load, but I can't seem to get it to 975/1150 like I'm after. When playing games at these clocks, it will just freeze, go to a white screen, then say ATI driver has recovered. What am I doing wrong that is causing me this? Why can I not achieve this clock? Sorry if I can't give much detail, I'm kind of new to overclocking..

My system:

Motherboard: ASUS m4a87td USB 3.0
    Graphics: Sapphire 6870 1gb.
    CPU: Phenom II x4 975
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600mhz 8gb.
    PSU: Corsair GS600
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

HDD and CD-drive are typical default, nothing special.

Also, are there any tips I don't know about my PC that you'd recommend? I feel this is a bit vague, but I'm kind of talking in a general sense.

Thanks!

~Dashie

2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

If you can get the ASUS epu/tpu software going it will overclock for you, so you just need to make sure that you can provide the cooling it needs. However really you could do with watercooling if you want to get a decent overclock. The advantage to all games would be deceased loading times, but it depends on the game whether you would notice the difference ingame as alot of fps don't massively rely on the CPU and require the GPU the most.

Im not 100% sure on this but I think your GPU overclock might be failing because once you get to a certain point the GPU needs more voltage to sustain the overclock, which I think requires a mod, please can someone else say if this is wrong.

3. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

You might want to find out using cpuz on load how much vcore your processor is getting. some asus motherboards go overboard on default.

my asus m4a99x was pumping 1.36v into my 955be at stock speeds which sent temps through the roof. when i manually set it back to 1.30v lowered temps by about 7c.

also the evo is a great cooler