1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

2. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Thanks for demonstrating how you bend!!! The lower side cover is top-notch. The line is very aggressive. Jus great work, I feel like noob, lol.

3. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks mate. :thumb: No wood or plex.

Easily. ;)
    No.
    You can see the layout in the first post. Graphics card on top of motherboard.

Thanks. :)

Thank you.

Thanks, yep I've been looking at lots of cars. ;)

Thank you. :)

Thanks. :) The doc at pre-admission says the surgeon is a top notch modder. :hehe:

Thanks Craig. :)

Yeah, I'm sure. :hehe: Thanks.

?

Thanks, that piece is 25mm thick plate. :)

No problem and thanks. :thumb:

Thanks for all the good wishes guys. :thumb:

4. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Nice work - do you use that bending method because a regular sheet metal bender won't give you the same level of control, or...?

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I don't think it's about the control it's about making it bend more sharply & easier to bend it, makes sense, I have a sheet metal bender & the edges aren't sharp bends unless it's thin material but if you score it nicely or even route it with a v cutting bit the bends are much sharper with it having less resistance to bending, also a cheap sheet metal bender only does 1mm thick very well any thicker especially for longer widths it makes a bad job of the bend, it's a method I never considered until I started seeing people doing it recently especially with much thicker material so I'll give it a try myself some time & what Attila done by adding chunky supports is just awesome thinking so it doesn't need welding & gains way more strength than it would if it was just a normal bend, whoever thought of thinning out the bend points originally it was an awesome idea & I'm not sure but first time I seen it done it was by navidson record who intended to weld the slots he made but it's evolved already by Attila by making nice supports instead of welding, something that will definitely sit in my methods part of my mind for when I need it :).

6. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

perfection and passion. I´m screeeeeaming like everyone else WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAA!

7. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

The front foot looks kinda off now.

the panel you just made connects with the your previous piece (what i'm going to call the front under-carriage) seamlessly and forms a very smooth line, particulary with the grill intake at the front, the protruding front foot majorly disrupts it. but i think you would still need the foot to come out, otherwise the rear foot loses a degree of symmetry

8. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

do you let your cases evolve Or do you actually have the case in your mind before you start ?

9. Huge

Huge aka Dave

...wow :jawdrop:
    Stupendous! Can't wait to see more :naughty:

10. Balance Keeper

Balance Keeper What's a Dremel?

Super bad ass. Srsly this is beyond any imaginable level of awesomeness. Keep up The Work. Looking forward to discovering the overall plan =P

11. Attila

Thanks, small tabs are very easy to bend in the vice. ;)

Thanks kid. :thumb:

I think (though I may be wrong), that what you see so far cant be whipped up add hoc. I did have an overall plan for this. How it will look, how it will function, what needs to be removable what needs to open etc. But I didn't/don't have much of an idea of 'how', I can make some of the parts. Some ideas/parts/functions need to change so that I am able to 'make' them. Also, as usual, some things just change because I had a better idea/it looks better.

Thank you. :)

Thanks. :)

I've still got four holes in me but they are healing very well. So much so that over the last couple of days I was well enough to continue with a side panel/door.

Building up a panel basically just requires various bits made up and fitted between the two 'shuts' I made some months ago. It doesn't really matter how this all knots together so long as it's strong and carries the basic foundation for the final shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of the mix of shapes involved, curves, angle steps, straight lines, a part with a curve needs to be made separately from, say a part with an angled bend.

[​IMG]

The main structural element of the panel will also give it the most strength. This is the central piece made from 1.6mm sheet. I thought I would have trouble with it and this is indeed what happened. Firstly it would not fit into my home made bender so a corner was filed out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a fixing tab needed to be bent the other way.

[​IMG]

This couldn't be done in the bender, so I tried to bend it in the vice. The result was a complete disaster.

[​IMG]

So the wrecked tab was cut off and filed as straight as I could get it.

[​IMG]

And this panel was then fitted to the shuts with some angle. Here the various bits are just screwed together with whatever M3 screw is at hand. Once all the parts are made and fitted, the screws will be replaced with countersunk rivets.

[​IMG]

Once this main part is screwed into place, the panel is very rigid and strong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some photos of how it's going in the looks dept. :hehe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Already back at it :D can't keep a good modder down :clap: sleeeeek side panels very nice :).

13. Nutman

Looks very good, but I somehow can't shake the feeling that whenever you add another piece to the puzzle, it's not part of a grand master plan, but every single piece is something you came up with along the way - am I wrong? (not that it matters - it just feels that way, so I thought I'd ask...)

14. Attila

I just answered that question above. :eyebrow:

15. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Good Job! I'll have to try scoring my metal before I bend it. Of course, I dont bend awhole lot of metal, I jus weld. great pics.

16. Nutman

Oh, sorry - I overlooked that and skipped right to the update instead - it's too tempting, you know? ;)

17. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

WOW Attila, it's just insane!
    The case gets more and more "evil" for each day! this case i think has more "attitude" then the others you've made, has it not? more "sharp edges" and i have to say...
    LOVE IT!!! :clap::clap::rock::rock:

hmm... a lot of "" don't u think... >.<

18. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Good.
    God.
    Damn!

19. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Glad you are healing up well. :)

Some very complex angles into curves you have going on. Building these are pushing your brain a bit, eh :)

The panel is beginning to take shape, looking good. :thumb:

20. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

What?!? That is amazing! Everything fits in so perfectly...