1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Couldn't find my helping hands, so...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scifi3018, 29 Oct 2010.

1. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

I just got a shipment in at work with 1000 feet of various cables and over 100 connectors as well. Since the last time I used my helping hands was at work and I couldn't find them this morning, I decided to make a jig so that I could work a lot easier and quicker.

[​IMG]
    I used two bits of scrap wood (that already had nails sticking out of them!). In the bottom piece, I drilled a 1/2" hole which is the perfect size to hold male and female XLR connector innards. On the vertical bit I stuck a nail into the side for holding my solder and I nailed two strips of velcro on the top so I could strap my cables in quickly.

[​IMG]
    Here are both ends of a cable ready to get tinned! And look how easy that looks :D

[​IMG]
    And of course the most important feature, being able to get all three wires to sit in place without a delicate balancing act.

All in all, I am very happy with how productive this made me today, and that it took all of 5 minutes to make with materials I had on hand.

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Nice!

Needs a bloo led on it somewhere and perhaps some engraved plexi ;)

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Genius! But I agree with kenko_uk that it needs more bloo LEDs. :p

4. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

I approve of this assisting implement. >.<

5. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Epic man, enjoy my extra tag ;)

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Posted instead of tagged, doh.

7. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Since everyone seems to like this jig, I thought I might as well show some more pics of what Im using it for.

Here is a lineup showing the sequence of making an XLR (or in the case a DMX) cable. First you must trim back the insulation to expose the braided shield.
    Unwind the shield and twist it off (trim some of the shield so all three conductors are a similar size. Since we are using a 5wire cable and 3 pin connectors I twist the pairs together to strengthen the connection.
    Tin the tips and trim to a suitable length! With XLR/DMX connectors (as well as most all connectors that I have used) the less exposed wire, the better. The strain relief grips onto the insulation inside the connector so the more the merrier!
    Make sure at this point to put the stress relief boot, shrink wrap, etc (anything that you want on the cable that doesn't fit over a connector.
    Anywhos, after situating the wires a little, I solder them onto their bits and screw the whole thing together!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. cjenvironmental

cjenvironmental What's a Dremel?

Nice information

9. SiL_3nT

SiL_3nT What's a Dremel?

A much better way is to put your soldiering into a bench vice. Your making more effort than it is worth.

Simple you hold your work piece in one hand and short length of solider in the other and feed both into hot tip.

Meaning you can hold heat shrink back away from the heat.