1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling CPU Cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RedDethX, 23 Aug 2012.

1. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone, I am currently looking for a new cooler, I have the CM Hyper 212+ and want a little bit more cooling and was wondering what you guys could recommend me.

I'd like to stick to www.newegg.ca and www.canadacomputers.com if possible, and only wish to spend $50-70, perferably no water cooler, any suggestions?

2. techhead

techhead Minimodder

Have a look at the GELID Tranquillo a good all rounder .But you are in a good price band to pick from.
    all so if you have got any heat sink on your ram this can make it much harder to find a cpu cooler that will fits as most over sized cpu colers will over hang the first ram slot

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

The be quite Pro would be a good choice. What case are you using?
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/04/02/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-review/1

Although the geild is a good HSF it might not even cool as well as the Hyper 212

4. RedDethX

I'm currently using a CM HAF 922 case, top fan and back fan exhausting and front as intake. I was looking at the Gelid Tranquillo cooler but I'm wondering if it'd be a big enough difference to even warrant the money?

Edit: Also, I can't get the Be Quiet Pro in Canada :( Which is sad as it looks like a really good cooler.

5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'll personally recommend the Thermaltake Frio. Fits your budget perfectly, and the very best CPU cooler I've ever owned.

The Bit-tech review corroborates my words :)

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Thermalright Venomous X and you can pick it up instore for under $50. It's better than anything else suggested thus far. ;)

Edit: if you stretch to $84.99 you can get the Noctua NH-D14 which is the best air cooler ever made.

The difference between it and the Venomous X however is marginal.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2012
  8. Shirty

Page 2 of the Bit review I linked above suggests that is not true :confused:

9. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's not about truth mate, it's about perspective - the Frio obviously cools better in that scenario, but the Ven X would likely trump it with a highly overclocked CPU and a similarly high speed fan (the one that comes with the Thermalright coolers is pish). Admittedly, an i7 965 at 3.6GHz/1.3v is not a real test of cooling performance...sorry Bit-Tech!

Put two Gentle Typhoons on a Thermalright cooler (as I have) and the next best thing is H2O. :D

11. Shirty

Maybe so, all I know is that keeping a 4.9GHz 2500k under 55 degrees at 100% load makes me a happy bunny, especially considering that's with the fans on lowest. Cranking them up shaves another 5 or so off, but it's not worth the noise penalty.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Sounds like a very good cooler and by all means he should get it if it can handle a 2500K so well. Depends what you mean by "100% load" of course - definitions vary :D

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Almost everything above the £25/$30 price bracket should handle an overclocked 2500K(at around 1.4V).
    I'll have to go with the definition of full load that Pooky had in the old Geekbench thread, with at least 10 passes of Intel Burn test set on extreme.

For everyday use, I would go by the criteria of:
    1) Quietness
    2) Looks
    3) Cooling(move higher up the list for serious overclocks)
    4) Size, some coolers are stupidly large.
    5) Ease of mounting (unless you enjoy testing TIM, you won't be mounting it more than twice a year).

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm not sure - guys over at XS doing Linpack testing with 1.4v (at 5GHz, for example) are reaching temps of 80-90C with the very best air coolers. Like I said, extreme testing ("real" 100% load) requires very competent cooling. I've used a host of £30+ coolers over the years and none of them have come close to my trusty TRUE when it comes to extreme overclocking. :)

15. Shirty

For a casual gent like me, 100% load is whatever I do in my normal daily computing, be it gaming, folding or unzipping.

I ain't hardcore :D

16. narwen

narwen narwen

17. RedDethX

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have a look through them and pick one out, looks like none of those are bad, but Frio looks pretty bad ass, thanks again. :)

18. doyll

doyll Minimodder

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

^ That's the Megahalems - a nice cooler by all means, but not worth the premium over others suggested.

I still think the VenX represents the best value as it's a great cooler and under $50 is a total steal for what it is :eeek:

20. doyll

doyll Minimodder