1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Oct 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Sounds promising, but there's no way I'd buy a huge external device like that.
    I'd either want the PCIe version or a much smaller external version, much like the later external X-Fi's which were no bigger than a USB thumb drive.
    The 3D effect over stereo headphones is especially interesting as I use bud earphones while gaming.

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Sounds like a rip off to me. Just a headphone out? £80? No. Thanks.

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Whilst I can see the appeal the unit is FAR too large (especially given the sparse PCB) and arguably too expensive to see mass market appeal - something we can only assume Creative are pushing for aiming this at consoles.

Perhaps creative should get onboard with some of the big motherboard manufacturers to see if they could get this (these?) audio chip on mid-to-high end motherboards on a large scale.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

If this costed £40 to £80 more and came with a surround headset, I'd understand the product a bit more.

To me it looks like a gimmick for those who don't know any better.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

As far as I can tell, it's a stereo soundcard with a built-in HRTF (interesting for a console, totally pointless for a PC where you can do it in software). Very little for your £90.

7. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

Creatives hardware has always been pretty good, it's there woeful drivers that's the problem. After having a xfi for 2 years and never having a problem, then getting the hiss/crackle problem that creative blamed on every thing else apart from the weather. I would never buy creative again. D2x all the way

8. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

seems like an expensive gimmick aimed at console owners

9. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I must say the Creative card's are extremely good, but they are heavily let down by the drivers.

I have a Creative X-Fi Fidelity Card, and I cannot use it because the drivers cause to many issues.

I stick now to my Asus Xonar DX card.

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Genuinely interested here. How easy is it to switch between the PS3/Xbox/PC? Does it mean reaching behind each platform everytime I want to change platforms? Or Just a little switch on that remote thingy? Got great headphones already but love improving my sound.

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Yes, you'll need to switch the unit over to the console, with the optical audio cable and USB power connection, which will involve reaching behind You'll also need a long 3.5mm headphone jack, as the included one is short and isn't sofa friendly.

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'd love a good quality usb sound card that could rival my auzentech prelude x-fi so I could happily switch over to mini-ATX, got to have ok gpu & sound card :) or better yet, nice quality onboard audio instead of the usual rubbish.

I feel like this isn't it though, I tried 1 of the x-fi external ones a while ago & found it to be no good.

13. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

This unit tells me that all the capacitors, electrodes and capacitors and what not on the bigger cards, like the creative X-fi xtreme gamer edition, is just for show and does nothing to enhance soundquality on digital sound. What you do get with an expensive soundcard is silence, no background noise.

However I have never really felt any different connecting my hifi headsets to creatives soundcards vs onboard audio like nvidias "soundstorm" etc.

Invest money in an expensive headset to get good audio, then buy a soundcard if it's on sale later.

14. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Certainly won't replace my X-fi Elite pro, unfortunately it's going to get harder to use that card with PCI slots disappearing!. Best £100 I ever spent was on the Elite Pro

Sent from Bittech Android app

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

If you only need stereo output with no silly dolby or x-fi stuff then you options are pretty much unlimited.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-MU-8740A-Audio-Interface/dp/B004GJXTQS

How the hell did you reach that conclusion? Do you have any experience with circuitry?

16. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

That's pretty damn expensive for what is effectively an HRTF and dynamic EQ processor. Looks like a ripoff to me.

17. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

No I have no experience what so ever. But it seems as though this does allmost the same job with no capacitors or the extra circuitry, thus rendering them useless... Also, after what I have experienced with a wide variety of both high and low quallity stereo outputs is that you'll need a pretty good amplifier to really notice the difference in soundquality. Buying a good or different headset on the other hand, will give you extreme differences right away.

I may be on the top of my head here but it's just what I have experienced or "heard" through the years, buying soundcards and mp3 players yet not noticing changes in sound other than the omission of "hiss".

I currently have the X-fi xtreme gamer fatal1ty ed. just for the record.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

19. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

Actually, a hi-fi DAC (as defined by 24/96 bitrate) with only a headphone out, no mic in, and none of the extra features of this card generally *start* around $150. So to me, this seems like a pretty damn good deal.

20. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Up yours Creative.

Tags: Add Tags