1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Dedicated server mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ATi Loyalist, 13 Nov 2003.

1. ATi Loyalist

ATi Loyalist Who throws a shoe?!

as far as dedicated servers, what kind of integrated ports as far as hubs/switches, etc would you want in a dedicated server, basically, what hardware is needed for a dedicated server, i am planning to build an all-in-one lan server type PC from and old server from my dads work that i will be refurbishign in the next few months.

2. WizardLock

WizardLock What's a Dremel?

This sounds interesting. Hope people reply to this so I can learn as well.

3. Whizzleteets

Whizzleteets What's a Dremel?

How big is your LAN group? I'd say a 16 port switch would be pretty sweet to include in a box, but I have no idea how big it'd be.

4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

If the parties are for the most part under 20 I would go for something like a 1.6 ghz athlon (or 1.9ghz p4) or better. The newer p4s have the advantage of hyperthreading though , (Its suprising how many resources are needed for a dediacated game server) and 256 or 512 megs of ram. If you wand a file server, lots of hdd space, possibly even raid, if not an 80-120 gb should suffice.

as for a switch I would use something like this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ails.asp?EdpNo=634751&Sku=T156-2068&CatId=201

or this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ls.asp?EdpNo=578585&Sku=T156-2032 P&CatId=201

I would put a gigabit card in the server, and connect the server to the switch via gigabit, and all the other comps to the switch by 10/100.

Just a thought.

edit: don't buy them from tiger direct, I'm sure you can find a better price somewhere else.

5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Curently im making my self a Dedicated Game server so far i have

Dual athlon board
    2 modded XP1900s
    3x256mb ECC registered DDR
    120Gb Seagate 8mb cache
    Quantum atlas 10k
    SCSI card
    network 10/100
    1000 when i can afford the switch to go with it
    thats about it, that should run quite a few dedicated game servers :D

O and its watercooled :p went a bit overboard on that one lol :p slapping it in a top secret case that will be revealed soon

6. ATi Loyalist

damn, and i was hoping a 166 P1 would suffice, oh well, im a n00b as far as servers.

7. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

I guess it would depend what games you are running....

If you're running Half-life Deathmatch, I suppose a 166 would work...

for about 2 to 3 people...

8. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

The lack of emoticons makes me think that this isn't even a joke?

Anyway, I'd go for an amd 2200+ 512meg 2700 120gig rig as a minimum for serving games at a lan. Modding a 16 port switch into the case would be awesome btw :thumb:

For general filesharing and dsl gateway at home we're using a 600 duron 320meg pc133 10gig rig with traffic going through an 8 port hub (not switch :() Adequate for what it does, and it was just lying around anyway :D

9. ATi Loyalist

*scratches back of head* no, i wasnt kidding, but what about for CS, maybe 5 people, and Rune(original Unreal Tournament mod)

10. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

well a 166 might be uasable for a dHCP server if you want to have a DHCP server at the lan, but even then that might be a stretch :D

servers can be a tricky thing, need to get the right balance of resources for everything it will do plus general system overhead and more power is always better. i have two 10/100 16port switches in my room, booth of which i lost the power cords. so im thinking about shucking them (depending on the power needs) integrating them with my case and running it off a molex.

mmmmmm 32 ports of switched networking goodness.

of course id probebly do it with a patch panel so that the switches would be internal and i wouldnt need the cable running around to the back of the case. well ill post pics if i do it.

11. ChriX

ChriX ^

I used a 200MMX with 32Mb ram for cs with a load of bots and 4 players, worked fine. Had it running Redhat and it would need a reboot every 10 or so days, but it did the job.

12. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Don't you mean 30 :)
    You have to connect them.

What would be really neat is if you had the 2 16 ports, and a 5 port switch, have the 2 16 ports pull out of the case, so you can move them to where it is convienient.

It would also be neat to use POE (Power over Ethernet) to power it, so you have 2 powered ports, for the switches (clearly labeled to prevent mishaps) So that 2 of the 5 ports are for the switches, 1 is for the comp, and 2 for other switches or other people.

Just a thought. :thumb:

13. tomd

tomd What's a Dremel?

I think he said 30 because of 1 uplink port to connect the hubs, then one to connect to the server, and 30 for other 'puters.

14. FearsomeMouse

FearsomeMouse What's a Dremel?

2 to connect them, 1 port on each switch = (32 total - (1 port on switch 1 + 1 port on switch 2) = 30)

Server would take it to 29.

--FearsomeMouse

15. tomd

tomd What's a Dremel?

haha, my bad, too early in the morning to post....

16. modtheplanet

modtheplanet What's a Dremel?

if you plan on having 12+ slots for CS you need at least 2000+ and 512 ram. at least!

17. FearsomeMouse

FearsomeMouse What's a Dremel?

I think those specs would more than well and truely do it. Consider the fact that when CS was in it's heights, a 1 GHz machine was considered fast...

With appropriate attention to your server, specs could be a lot lower (sub 1gHz)... and host 12 ppl easily. If your going to do something - take the time to do it right. Hardware is nothing if you dont make the software to take advantage of it. That much computing power is such a waste on a server like CS.

No offense - but sometimes i think that people on this forum have unlimited money supplies!

Sorry - didn't mean to make you look bad! Just though that it would be a good idea to point out before ppl started making plans on the 30/31 port design... :lol:

That is all...

--FearsomeMouse

18. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

why's everyone assuming that it'll be a half-life server? specs to serve say battlefield would have to be far bigger right?

it'd help to know what games you usually play, and how many users are playing at once.

19. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

hehe battlefield needs power.
    Not sure on how much a server would need though I just play it on my own as I have no net :(

20. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

you're loving taunting use with this aren't you...