1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA 22" worth a purchase?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whitlog, 4 Apr 2010.

1. Whitlog

Whitlog What's a Dremel?

Hey

After having my LG Flatron L1710B for many years I feel its time to upgrade.

So as the title states I am thinking at buying the Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA 22", it hits my max price range and I have read good things about it.

anyone got one and how you finding it? or is there others for the same price or less that I should also consider.

Thanks for your input :thumb:

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Only buy it if you want a truly brilliant monitor. :)

While I do not have one myself, I was instrumental in getting 4 of them for testing at the company I work for. Didn't take long and we ordered another 30.

Colours and viewing angles are truly superb as befitting a monitor which uses an IPS panel. Ergonomically it's also great with a rotating height-adjustable stand and pivot mode.

Off the top of my head there are two other monitors you might want to look at. There's the LG W2220P, which (to my knowledge) uses the same 1680x1050 16:10 panel as the 2209WA and which might be a bit cheaper), and there's the NEC EA231WMi using a 1920x1080 16:9 IPS panel (and is somewhat more expensive).

If you're into true hardcore gaming, however, you may want to pass on monitors with IPS (or xVA) panels, since they have somewhat slower response times than cheaper TN panels, which in turn pretty much suck when it comes to image quality.

Whitlog likes this.
  3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've got one and I can confirm it is a great monitor and well worth purchasing. I game a lot and there is no issue with ghosting, colour depth is fantastic and no banding. Games look fantastic with this monitor which was my main reason for purchase.

Whitlog likes this.
  4. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

I got a pair and they are fantastic, no problems at all with them. I am currently saving for a second 275 and 3rd one of these monitors.

Whitlog likes this.
  5. Whitlog

Whitlog What's a Dremel?

Hey

Thanks all for the feedback, like I said I have read good things about it but I always prefer to hear peoples view who own the hardware, always feel you get a better picture

thanks again for the advice, I know what a chunk of my next pay check is going on :)

6. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I agree, they are great monitors! I have 3 of them sitting on my desk at work and can't fault them. Not gamed on them (obviously) but I can't see why they wouldn't be more than adequate.

Whitlog likes this.
  7. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
    Whitlog likes this.
  8. Whitlog

Whitlog What's a Dremel?

thanks eek

and cheers jbloggs for the great review

9. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

dell 2209wa Cheesecake !

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Make sure you want 22 and not 24", the screen is the best 22" there is, rich colours.

nice avatar above!

Whitlog likes this.
  11. GravitySmacked

Aye it was an iconic film (for me anyway).

12. kovacs

kovacs What's a Dremel?

Why obviously, i have cod 2,3 and 4 on my work pc.The I.T guys at work even let me run my old 4850 on it.They even set my internet connection to bypass the web content filter:rock:

Last edited: 4 Apr 2010
  13. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

what film are you thinking of ?

its picture of my desk lamp

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The 2209WA is definitively worth the purchase.

Even if the quoted response time isn't that brilliant, it's more than enough unless you have some crazy eyes.

I use a 20ms S-IPS monitor and I don't really notice it too much, if at all, that 2209WA should definitively be better.

15. GravitySmacked

I believe he was talking about The Black Hole.

16. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

I have the Dell 2408WFP and that screen is great, but after purchasing the 2209 I think its actually less vibrant while being far more expensive so i strongly recommend the 22".

17. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

I've had a 2209WA for a year or so, bought on advice from this forum and many other similar places on the interwebs. It looks OK, till you turn it on... and then it looks fantastic. Apart from anything else it's nice being able to show somebody something on the screen and know that it looks very nearly the same from their angle as it does from yours.

In conclusion:

:thumb:

18. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I've already posted in a topic like so before so I'll just quote myself:
    Only thing I'd add to that is that I see an ever so slight pink tint on whites which naked to most peoples eye's gets right on my nerves to the point I'll most likely be buying a calibrator soon. Other than that it's great.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Lower your red color on the RGB values, or...increase green + Blue.

I still do calibrations by eye, if only because I've had a VERY well calibrated CRT for years.

20. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?