1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Diablo 3 will have always-online DRM, player-to-player microtransactions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Aug 2011.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

What's Starcraft 2? Oh you mean one third of the game they are still working on... No, wait until it's all out then buy the full game at a normal discounted price.

Acti-Blizz just isn't the same tbh.

Oh Blizzard, where art thou?

2. Pvt_Ryan

Pvt_Ryan What's a Dremel?

Strange I can, I was on an 8hr boat trip, then there was that time there were problems at my exchange, oh and then I did go on holiday abroad where the price to use the wireless in the hotel was a rip off.

Think about this: You are on the final boss on your 20th attempt to kill him, your internet connection drops.. Oh balls we cant verify you didnt cheat so you have to try again.

Really? Strange since:
    a) Most games are actually cracked before the are even released.
    b) According to a suppressed report into piracy, the pirates are generally better customers
    http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/07/20/2119232/Suppressed-Report-Shows-Pirates-Are-Good-Customers
    c) Piracy != equal lost sales in a 1:1 ratio. Numerous sources/studies suggest this.
    d) The witcher 2 was release DRM free on gog.com and removed retail DRM shortly after release, I believe their sales are just fine.

3. Denzin

Denzin What's a Dremel?

Got to admit, I don't like *having* to be connected to the internet to play games I have bought, what happens if my internet connection goes while I'm playing? Can I keep playing?

Does any one know, as I don't have a battle net account, does it have an off-line mode like Steam?

Mods - I'm fairly 'meh' about.

Microtransactions - I'm holding judgment on. Will see what happens. I prefer though that people field what they've 'won' in game, not bought third party.

While I'm thinking over what's been said, it'll be the always on thing that'll make me drop my pre-order.

4. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

I bought StarCraft II because I liked the game , but there was a server crack for the game that tricked the game to think it was online all the time. I dont think this game will be any different. It might take a few months for a cracked server to show up , but it will be cracked eventually.

5. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Thoughts on DRM

I don't see why people are complaining so much about always-online DRM in Diablo 3. Starcraft 2 uses it to great success in my opinion. I haven't seen nearly as much whining about Starcraft 2's DRM, so why about Diablo 3, and out of all the console kiddie forums it could have popped up, why here?

You want a singleplayer game that you'll play for a few days, suck at it, implement cheats, then rush through the game bulldozer-style, and then toss it. They want a game that will be fair and continue to be played the next 10 years, and they have taken the measures necessary to achieve this goal.

So I'm with them on this one. Don't get me wrong, I hate debilitating and always-online DRM just as much as any one of you (if not more), but after seeing how it was implemented in Starcraft 2, I can only tip my hat to Blizzard and say "Thank you for providing us a fair and civilized environment to play in."

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

:( I was looking forward to this, active internet connection means no sale. Yes, I'm usualy always connected to the internet, but my router has a nasty habbit of losing connection suddenly.

If I'm playing a single player game (and it would be played as a single player game, it's not very often I play this type of game in multiplayer on the PC) I don't want to suddenly lose the last x hours of play because my router's connection suddenly dropped and needs to be rebooted (Also, I can't change my router as it's a locked-down pre-configured job from my ISP).

Always on DRM has meant that games I would have bought on the PC (AC2/Borotherhood/Star Craft 2 etc...) don't get bought/played (and I refuse to resort to pirated versions).

7. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Remember graphics maketh not the game.

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I don't mind connecting to battle.net to play but I will be a little pissed off if my network connection goes down and I get booted out of my single player game.

9. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

I changed my talk talk router. Only about 10 minutes on there websites/phoning up to get the settings.

10. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Grow up. It's down to pirates and no one else.You really think they'd go through all the trouble and whining that DRM inevitably causes unless fear of financial loss through piracy weren't driving force? Contrary to popular opinion, devs don't hate gamers and use every possible opportunity to screw us over. Totalitarian control over their product is necessary because games are meant as business, not charity.

11. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Considering the development of private servers for WoW, I see nothing top prevent reverse engineering of whatever is needed to get D3 running seperately from Blizz's infrastructure.

12. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Something that needs to be rebooted every now and then in order to work again, needs to be replaced. Period.

If the router is part of the ISP's infrastructure, then they need to fix it. You have a contract with them and how much loss of connectivity is acceptable is stipulated there. Your case certainly doesn't fall into acceptable levels.

Sorry but always-online DRM isn't the reason why you haven't bought and played those games, but your stubbornness not to fix your Internet connection. See how much you have missed because you wouldn't pick up the phone and register a complaint with your ISP?

13. Bede

Bede Minimodder

No, but art style does. D3 is a successor to D2 in the same way that CnC: Generals was a successor to Tiberian Sun. It's not.

I like to be able to play games on the train, or around the house, or just wherever I don't happen to have an internet connection. Blizzard have seriously lost touch with their fans if they think that we all want to play tournament-standard PvP all the time.

I actually think the auction house is quite a good idea, I'm all for player-led economies. However the always-on DRM is a vast bazooka to kill a tiny fly.

14. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

Worse news of the year :(. Always on DRM for the single player portion was one of the reasons I have not bought StarCraft 2 (the other being no LAN support) and it will again be the reason why I won't be buying Diablo 3.

Unlike Blizard the companies that are participating in the humble indie offer know how to treat their customers!
    http://www.humblebundle.com/

15. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Exactly... I hate when that happens in TDU or TDU2...

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Agree. I just never saw the appeal of watching a tiny little characrer run into buildings with no roofs and steal from treasure chests.

17. Zorndar

Zorndar What's a Dremel?

I´m quite relaxed on this one. I´ve played D2 most of the time online via closed Battle.net cause its more fun with people. Thats the reason I don´t care if i have to be online all time.

The lack of mods is another issue. Open battle.net was a shame in the end as mostly enyone was playing with map hack and bots and duped item. The main reason i played closed battle.net. The negative point was that everytime i logged in after some years i started from zero. Therefor on the one side its good its missing on the other side i will miss the mods created by the users. I just loved the mods created by people in D2 and Torchlight, were so much fun to play a boss map with 8 players ^^.

Not quite sure what it will be with the ingame auctions, i´m more a fan of "ingame" money like in guild wars or with pg´s/runes like in the old d2 days. Makes more sense to me.

18. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

1) TDU2 is a MMO. Diadlo isn't.
    2) Most of the server offline errors were down to Atari not sorting it out.
    3) TDU2 is crap anyway. I know, I pre-ordered the pile of turd.

19. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

Diadlo/Diablo. Doh.

20. CashMoney

CashMoney What's a Dremel?

This. Always online DRM is fine only if there is an offline mode (but "Alwyas Online" suggests no offline mode) or if at the very least, the online check only happens when you start the game, not during single play. Assassins Creed 2 drove me nuts, freezing mid game a couple of times when my net connection went down/router died, and again of course when the Ubisoft servers got DDoS'd. In the end, I stopped playing and waited for the crack.

Tags: Add Tags