1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DICE: We're not making Battlefield casual

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

we will see what happens....nice to hear bf bad company 2 is coming to the pc, the original looked good on the console even though i never played it!

3. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

If they port Battlefield Bad Company to the PC then I'd play it. The singleplayer part on the PS3 was kind of fun.

4. Azmat

Azmat What's a Dremel?

It's not so much the download-only which is controversy. What is, is the regenerating health + unlimited ammo in 1943 - what the bloody hell ? And personally, i don't care a lot for Bad Company. Not that it's bad, but just, meh. Battlefield will always remember me of the fine 1942 one.

5. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

2142 Cheesecake.

Intense battles, great gameplay modes, up to 64 players. BF2142 has given me nearly two years of fun. It's getting a bit dull now though, so a new version - maybe not set in the future - would be excellent.

Oh, and the resolution of all the server and client bugs that cause regular crashes.

6. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

I remember hearing that last statement echoed by someone else at EA in an interview I read awhile ago. I think there's definitely something big coming soon. E3 is my guess.

But really, if you haven't already, check out Operation Flashpoint 2- it looks simply spectacular.

7. quake1-rules

quake1-rules What's a Dremel?

His reasoning is flawed. He cites that they have PC versions of Xbox360 games as his reasoning that they haven't 'gone casual.' They used to have PC exclusive games that were focused for the hardcore PC gamer, now they release cartoony games. They've definitely gone casual.

8. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

i think its a bit of both. They've certainly gone a little casual, probably mostly to entice new players, but i certainly think they're leaving just enough in for the hardcore audience. That said, I for one would certainly prefer a stronger hardcore focus. BF games were a good staple for LANs, but it doesn't seem like any of the latest titles will be much suited for that.

Also, the BC2 for PC bit completely came out of left-field. Like the first, it was meant to be console only. Not that I'm complaining. Would really like to see a two-for pack for PC with BC and BC2 sold together, especially so PC gamers don't have to borrow a friends 360 or PS3 to get the story of the original

9. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Actions speak louder than words DICE.

Bad Company 2 - Casual
    Heroes - So Casual Im asleep
    1943 - A dumbed down version of 1942. Its as casual as it gets.

So the above is fine.. if you are into casual games.

But dont you dare say for one minute DICE that you listen to the fan base.. If you did listen you would have announced Battlefield 3 as a full hardcore sequel to BF2.

So the evidence speaks for itself. DICE apparently IS a casual games developer and has sold out the hardcore BF fanbase... Its bloody obvious based on the evidence before me, so DICE's comments today are nothing but a crock of horse sh** !

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Sorry guys but I am a little confused about what makes a game a casual one and why that is such a bad thing. Not trying to stir anything up here, I am just curious is all.

11. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i want a full fledge BF1943. that's all.

12. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Joe that write up is terrible, the download-only, multi platform part has ZERO to do with why everyone is hating the idea of BF1943, it's the regenerating health, unlimited ammo and 24 player limit that is pissing people off.

13. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

14. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

OFP2 is a MASSIVELY different game to Battlefield. Mainly due to the fact that it's actually a simulation.

Personally, I have my eyes on ArmA 2.. The ALL AI approach intrigues me.

15. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Give us BF3 with the squad system, commanders, squad leaders and all other things that makes BF2 something else than a "run and gun" game.

16. Whi7eRa66iT

Whi7eRa66iT What's a Dremel?

My suggestions to EA... For all to read and tear apart.

EA has already proven over the last three years to NOT listen to the gamers that help drive the future of FPS gaming. Sorry console gamers, but when it comes to real FPS's, the PC players have been in the drivers seat. (I do believe the console has brought to the world some exceptional one offs like the Halo series and Gears of War but all in all, those are few and far between).
    Now, EA has developed some very good games that I have enjoyed for many 100's of hours but the feeling is that once its released, they "have their money and are done with it". Then, instead of fixing the real issues of connectivity (Master server disconnects) they add in game advertising... :wallbash: As far as making a secure (locking out hackers and cheats) gaming experience, they SUCK. Heck, just purchase the Hacks (I am talking to EA) and figure out your holes in the code that allows them access to destroy your games.. :sigh:
    My clan (about 30 of us), admin 6 BF2 servers and 2 2142 servers and its a FULL TIME job dealing with the hackers and glitchers. Most times, we cannot even play the game with the work required to keep the garbage off the servers. :miffed: Plus, we have to PAY to have that privilege. We (game admins everywhere) carry the burden of keeping THEIR (EA) games running and making them money. When patches are released to the communities, they typically "fix" one thing, and break (tank) two others. (Any BF2 & 2142 player will know what I am talking about).
    Now, I do not know what it takes to code a game, but I know the testing side extremely well, and for EA to ignore the suggestions of the community that will be paying for the game is just ridiculous.. I am sure the list of complaints from all of the PC players is truly massive and keeping up with them all is difficult, but how about trying something different. The old faithful system of releasing a buggy game and providing patches (Microsoft's way) have proven to cost WAY more and piss off to many people. :idea: Instead of just opening up a beta to the general public where only a few actually do anything, look for organized groups of people that are truly willing to HELP and find problems with a game. Ways that allow people dis-advantages like wall hacking and endless repairing of a jeep in water upside down. Work to code AND give "helpful" admin tools to server admins. People are almost willing to give away their ideas to EA to help them make a better product.
    So, all in all... Do something different than the status quo. Cause to date: THE STATUS QUO SUCKS!!!!

A concerned PAYING customer and avid gamer. (that's my thought on the matter.. Sorry for laying out all of on you good folks.)

17. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

I agree with the gerneral concenses. DICE has ABANDONED the core users that made them a successful developer. what the majority of the comunity wants is a bf3 game, with 64+ players, squads, vechicals, large maps, teamplay, great graphics, and stable servers. It looks to me like the upcoming ps3 game WAR is the closest thing any of us will be able to get in a long time.

DICE I WONT BE BUYING ANY MORE OF YOUR PRODUCTS UNTILL YOU COMEBACK TO THE CUSTOMERS YOU HAVE ABANDONED. as an owner of every bf game that has sofar been made I have supported your studio more than most, but now it looks like i will be taking my HARD earned money to another developer.

18. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

And by WAR, I assume you mean MAG?

19. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Hey Bit-tech...

Im sure you have contacts at DICE.. is it possible to pass this feedback to them ? Im sure they have heard it already, but I want to know exactly why they are in denial ?

It would be even better if you could line up an interview with their lead dev or studio manager ... and ask us for specific questions before you do it ?

Is that even remotely possible ?

WildThing and Bauul like this.
  20. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Sounds to me like they are producing BF3 but do not want to announce it yet. This is the only way forward for BF2 fans.
    They need to up the ante as BF2 is over 4 years old now and begging for a sequel.

Tags: Add Tags