1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Digital Extremes announces Warframe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 27 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

MMO lite? so just an MO?

3. Thorton Reed

Thorton Reed Professional ball-buster

PvE = Player vs Environment. PvP = Player vs Player. All are enemies. But good effort.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Point. Fixed, ta.

5. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Meh - this sounds interesting, but free to play has me leery in a way. It's one thing to drop money up front for a game (especially when it's like $10 in a Steam sale), but it's another when I get nickel-and-dimed to death. Hell, it'd be easy to drop well over $200 on TF2 for things that might actually be useful, let alone all the silly hats.

Same with DLC - I got Civ V for 12.99. I'll hold off on Gods & Kings until it's less than I paid for the game itself.

6. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

"We've heard for years now that PC gaming is dead. It isn't dead - it just went underground for a few years and is now re-emerging with this massively growing free-to-play market that has matured to the point where the quality of games we're seeing rivals many AAA retail games,"

Ah, the ol' Goebbels theory of marketing: "If you repeat your market strategy often enough, it becomes true". This is a standard marketing tactic - when asked if you product will be a hit, simply say, "Why, it already is! How good must it be if it's not even out yet and there are buyers lining up!"

I wouldn't describe the F2P market as "massively emerging"; rather, more like "People have made a ton of subscription MMOs, then made in them F2P in an act of final desperation before WOW grinds them into a fine paste."

Tags: Add Tags