1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Does your bottom take daily punishment?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 14 Sep 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am in the process of getting the money together for a decent computer chair, call it what you will, and have decided on a High back Humanscale Freedom. I decided I needed a better chair when I noted my bum was sore after a few hours gaming. So I sold on the Staples bought chair and an currently using a bog standard office swivel chair which is so uncomfortable.

It got me thinking to you folk that are desk bound for your working day and what you sit on given that the top of the range ergonomic chairs sell for around a grand and even secondhand is likely to cost around the £300+ mark.

When I have asked for advice on buying a chair I think the only 'Cheap' one was a Markus from Ikea it was usually Steelcase Leap, Herman Miller ETC.

I would imagine that very few firms can afford £1000 pound chairs for all so how do the make the working day reasonably comfortable to those who are sat on their bums all day without bankrupting the firm?

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Incorrect - consider how much it costs to employ someone and £1000 is a drop in the ocean (that said, no need to go over £500 for an ergonomic chair if you're not bothered how it looks)

Couple that with HSE requirements, where you can't just pick whatever bargain basement chair that staples has on offer that week, and there are requirements around adjust-ability etc, you have an office full of chairs that are a great deal more expensive than many would have in their home.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Firms usually buy in bulk, they also get desks and sound barriers and even cupboards from the same supplier, allowing them to negotiate prices.
    My employer got their office furniture from these buddies (this is the chair my butt is currently on).

What you can do is look for second hand office furniture.
    Employers usually renew every few years (unless they're stingy), you may find some decent deals. Just be sure to air our the chairs, maybe clean them with baking soda.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I was thinking more of call centres operatives, would this apply to them as that is a lot of 500 quids.

I have already sourced the chair just cannot afford it at the moment actually found a seller on Ebay found he has a business outwith Ebay where I can save around £40 by buying direct from him.

5. Mister_Tad

Yep, it is. Call centres normally hot-desk though, which means that it's not one £500 chair per person. You won't see many chrome and leather chairs in a call centre either, so you're probably looking at cheaper chairs that might be a bit naff and are bought in bulk (and you can tick the "ergonomic" box without ticking the "comfort" box too, which for high turnover staff like a call centre, you probably don't care about).

As a general rule of thumb, employing someone will cost their employer another 50-100% on top of their salary, even minimum wage call centre workers.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It maybe worth looking at control room chairs or 24hr chairs as they're designed for prolonged use.

7. Mister_Tad

I wouldn't to be honest. You might not get a sore bum or a dead leg after using it, but it may not be all that comfortable either.

Ergonomic != comfort.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not actually looking for a chair suggestion, just wondered what people who are sat all day every day use or rather have provided.

9. Mister_Tad

FWIW my office is kitted out with Steelcase something or other, which look nice but I don't find terribly comfortable for long periods of time. Fortunately I can count the number of times I've spent more than a couple hours in the office in any given year on one hand.

At home I use a Herman Miller Sayl, which I find simply sublime, but it doesn't suit all from what I can tell (as no chair would, to be fair)

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

At home I use an Ikea Markus, which is actually quite nice!
    I've got it in orange, from back when Ikea had cool colours.
    I removed the armrests though, Really see no use for them.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

In work, we're all provided with Herman Miller Airon chairs. I wish I could afford one for home..... My 'cheap' £150 ergo chair is SO uncomfortable after a full day on the Airon.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

My last Drone hive job was for a certain fruit-named company and they gave no shits about employee comfort... Apple Keyboards/mice + cheap nonadjustable Argos special chairs == ****ed wrists and cramped legs were the order of the day...

...related to the above I was [officially] fired from the job for not typing quick enough.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2017
  13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

10 Years of boarding school didnt prepare me for the content of this thread

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Oh I think it would have done.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have an original-series Aeron, and it's lovely. Picked it up cheap-like from a mate: £50, plus another £50 for new castors and arm rests. Total bargain, which is just as well 'cos there's no way I'd have been paying £900+ for one new!

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

You and me both brother.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Last edited: 18 Sep 2017
  18. Mister_Tad

I know, books and covers and all that, but the first one seems a bit form over function and I can imagine it being neither comfortable nor ergonomic.

If you're buying unseen (or un-sat), in any case make sure there's a solid return policy, one that preferably doesn't have you sending it back at your own expense.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Unfortunately in Edinburgh there seems a lack of places to see and experience chairs. There is a Staples but that is where I bought my last chair and although it felt great when new, a year or so down the line it was not so comfortable in fact it was painful to sit on for long periods of time.

reviews of the Noble seem good and of course the Humanscale also.

I think most firms require you to return at own expense unless faulty do they not?

I will need to commit soon as what I am sitting on currently is crippling me.:grin:

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just been out to my local, sort of two bus ride, Ikea and first off what a horrible store in the way it is laid out plus no phone signal. When I eventually found the Markus chair I did not go wow. And whereas the three that I tried, two fabric and one black plastic only the one in the link had any padding on the armrests.
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...markus-swivel-chair-glose-black-art-20103101/

I would love to try out a Humanscale but I would need to travel to god knows where to find one.

I need to make a decision soon.