1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics dX9 now, or dX10 later?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sloth, 13 Dec 2006.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Hey all, I've been running with my integrated geforce 6100 graphics and desperately want to upgrade. With Christmas coming I was thinking of upgrading, and was thinking either a 7900 GS/GT or a x1800, both seem good and are about 150-200 dollars on newegg.com but would now be a good time to buy with DirectX 10 having been released? Currently anything DX10 is way to much for me, and ATi's release will lower prices.. so two main questions, which of these cards would be best? And, when will ATi release DX10 cards, or when will nVidia make cheaper ones like 8600 or something?

2. Glue

Glue What's a Dremel?

Honestly, I would just suck it up and wait a couple more months for dx10 card prices to go down and for Crysis to be released. A 6100 isn't thaaaaaaaaaat bad... =/

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

True.. it can play Battlefield 2142 demo, lol

I just wonder when those prices will get down to $200~

4. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

i think it could take quite a while before you start seeing 8600's at ~$200 i think bit said they would be released early next year, but i don't think prices will drop that drastically when ATi release the RD600, i would personally hold out and really scrape up the pennies to get a 8800GTS. The 6100 can run games, just not at full graphics, so put up with jaggies and bad resolutions just till next year and see what happens to GTS prices.

5. BFGunrunner

BFGunrunner What's a Dremel?

A geforce 6100 is about as fast as a Geforce 3 in some cases slower becuase the 6100 is onboard witch sucks the life out of you're system and a Geforce 3 is not.

The 6100 is a horrbile card when it comes to todays games unless your playing games that were released in 2002 than you could defiantly wait till next year or so.

If your currently playing Half life 2, Doom 3, Far cry FEAR than go for a X1950pro or a 7950 GT and you'll be very happy and see like a 10 times FPS increase and beable to crank up the settings to the max with no problem. :)

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

So ATi will presumably be cheaper? I care not who makes it, so long as it can run today's games and it's no greater than $250.. currently I just run Warcraft 3 and Age of Empires 3, I've got a thing for threes... :D

But I want to play HL2, Doom, etc. but only if they'll work well, so they'd be bought after I get a good card

7. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Not to circumvent the advice of others but... I've played the wait and buy game before and I'll bet you a pint that when that time comes that the hardware you're looking at today drops to the price you want tomorrow, there will be a whole new lot of "just wait till this comes out". It doesn't matter what you but today, tomorrow, or next year, it will always be cheaper the day after and there will always be something better on the horizon. Live life! Get a reasonable card now and when the time comes upgrade.

Just my 2cents.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That is one side of my brain talking exactly, but DX10 is such a new thing.. I can understand that once they make a lower end DX10 card, they'll just be gearing up for better cards at the same price, but now is a pretty big switch, but how big is the question

9. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

HUGE.

games on DX10 are going to be incredibley cool. Just read bits article on DX10. There's a whole plethora of wicked things. I personally feel that if you wait it out until the beginning of next year you'll feel all the better knowing you can play crysis in all it's glory. Save the pennies, i know its tempting when you have such poor graphics capabilities but resist. And besides, when you wait for something it makes it all the sweeter when you finally have it!

10. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I'd be inclined to suggest waiting to spend lots of money for a DX10 card, but I think that the $80 or so for an old 6600 would be worth the upgrade. 6100 onboard graphics are better than some (like my laptop's Intel 915), but they're rather poor for a gaming system.

11. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Well, I never said my post was accurate or even good advice, just a few thoughts. Yeah DX10 sounds like it's going to be a big change for the better, and I will get a dx10 card when the time is right. Until then I'm going to enjoy my newly aquired x1900xt. I knew it's lifespan may be short lived when I bought it but it does a very good job right now and it's going to take a while to get caught up in my gaming before I need to consider a dx10 one anyway.

Again I'm not trying to suggest the advice of others isn't accurate, I'm just trying to politely play the devil's advocate.

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Lol, don't worry, I was just talking in the theory of there's always something better, but every once in awhile something makes it worth it, and I can see exactly where you're coming from even if it's just playing a role.

13. trig

trig god's little mistake

im with biff...even when dx10 gets cheap, there will be gddr4 coming soon, or w/e...get what you can now...for example, im selling my card and board to a buddy for $250, and replacing it (as my christmas present) with a 680i evga board and an evga 7950 gt...about a $200 upgrade...but i think its worth it...check my thread in hardware if you disagree...

14. BFGunrunner

BFGunrunner What's a Dremel?

For now Grab somthing cheap like a 6800 GS than save up till nvidia releases more of the Geforce 8's.

15. Trevelyan

Trevelyan What's a Dremel?

Biff I agree. I just orderes an X1950 XT for all those games ive been playing on my FX5200. Ive never bought a card before and as someone else said, live life. A £150 card is a £100 in a very short time. Wait till DX10 and theyll be expensive, still, till you buy one and then they'll go down again. Either aim for a card and save up for it, or define a budget and buy.

16. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

i picked up a x1600 pro overclocked for $92 and ima use it until dx10

17. tolis86

tolis86 What's a Dremel?

i also suggest you find a used 6600gt/6800vanila/gt/ultra/gs/x1600pro/xt for about 60-120$ play your games NOW and when 8600 comes out or the mid-end r600 from ati buy it; THEN. for now just buy a used card...its a pitty to stay on 6100...only games you can PLAY with it is pro evoloution soccer 4,5,6.....

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Well, I do have an old card, a Radeon 9250 PCI card, 256MB ram.. I just wonder if it'd actually be better than the gefore 6100 I've got now..

Last edited: 15 Dec 2006
  19. tolis86

tolis86 What's a Dremel?

about the same....even one is twice better that would represent 5-10 more frames per sec so....

Tags: