1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Facebook builds massive data centre

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Fused

Fused Minimodder

My only real thoughts are about how long facebook will last? Most things seem to come and go ever more quickly these days, will it last long enough to make good on the investment in this data centre?

As an end user I doubt I will see much difference. Be nicer if they fixed the bugs in the FB code and develop a better iphone app.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

In theory - it's always in theory - it gives Facebook an actual, physical asset to flog off should all its users leave them for the Web 3.0 Site Du Jour.

An investment in something like this when times are good could really save the company when times are bad - although would put them in the unenviable position of possibly supplying a data centre to the site that beat them in the race for hearts and minds.

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

My God, that's a lot of space to fill with trivia about morons.

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Woulda been +rep-worthy if you got the number right and were talking about Twitter :p

Makes you wonder just how many petabytes 307000 square feet is.

6. flipdart

flipdart What's a Dremel?

i wonder how much juice that place soaks up?

7. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Not surprising that successful companies will do this.

Self-hosting means the only expenditure is running costs (rather than running costs + profit for the hosting company)
    The only real problem is the huge expenditure in creating them.

So as long as they can live long enough so that the expenditure outweighs the profit that would have gone to the hosting company, they'll be fine.
    Even if they do go before then, they have a huge data centre they can sell.

8. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Using evaporative cooling as an energy-efficiency selling point is interesting. I wonder whether it's intended (PR-wise) to be considered "green" or just "cheap". Isn't water vapour terrible for the whole "climate change" malarky?

9. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

They probably do it just to lower costs, and the ability to PR it as 'green' will get them more well liked by all the environmentalists.

10. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I'll bet they could reduce the size by a good 100,000 square feet if they got Zynga to host their own stuff.

11. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Reckon they'll be offering hosting or is this strictly for FB use only?

12. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

They do, it runs on EC2. Facebook simply provide a frame around the application and the means to integrate Facebook features.

I remmber reading a presentation on how they scale, I'll try and dig out the link later.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Trivia that is consumer research gold. The trivial personal information that morons people morons casually leave on their Facebook walls and profiles allows marketing experts to build quite a detailed picture and do targeted advertising, viral marketing...

It is also great for identity thieves and credit card fraudsters. Someone happen to mention your age and birthday? Together with your name and area of residence it makes the picture complete. They even know what you look like, what you do for a living (possibly where), what you drive, who you know.

Facebook: your life as public property.

14. Chimel

Chimel What's a Dremel?

That extra storage does not come a bit too early: At the slow rate they were moving, I was getting worried I'd never be able to publish my medical record, bank statements and personal passwords on Facebook because of space limitations.

Now if the article could mention something useful such as how many exabytes in that datacenter instead of stupid building dimensions...

15. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

While Facebook is a definate step up from myspace and far more mature and useful, does anyone really believe it will last more than a few more years at its current popularity? something else will come along, just like facebook has nearly killed myspace. I'm betting given time Google is going to come up with something. Having an android phone, gmail account and recently starting to use Chrome browser, Google honestly provides 90% of my internet services now. I would love to trash facebook if I could get people to move to Buzz or whatever Google is working on next.

Tags: Add Tags