1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice First watercooled build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rat1sully, 15 Oct 2014.

1. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

I have to admit that the point about easier access to clean the radiator is quite convincing, however I just wonder (if the efficiency is the same) why cpu cooling producers still avoid the pull configuration despite the advantage of clearing the space for bigger RAM radiators.

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

While it depends on the fans being used there's usually not a great deal of difference between push and pull, particulalry if you have sufficient rads.

45º and 90º fittings don't have that much impact on flow rates (nor does tubing size) so don't be put off using them if you think your loop needs them or it makes it easier to make a neater loop.

The D5 pump you've chosen is PWM and will run at 60% speed if not connected to a PWM header and should be fully controllable when connected to one. Don't use a fan controller or other method to control the speed, PWM is best.

3. Rat1sully

Rat1sully At Least Skt478 Never Broke

ok 140mm rad gone, it was only in there as an exercise in how many rads can I fit in the case sensibly

45º and 90º fittings are an it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them I figure

still need recommendations on fans and something to control them and the pump, otherwise it may be time to drain my bank balance a bit

4. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

The pump you chose is PWM controlled so you don't need a controller for that. What you do is you plug it into the CPU fan pin, and the pump will speed up and slow down based on how hard your CPU is working.

Unless you want full manual control in which case more power to you.

I've found the Bit Fenix Recon to be an interesting fan controller if you don't mind using a 5.25.

As for what fans to get, I like Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition. Good static pressure, very low noise level. I also have a Corsair AF 140 in my build and it's pretty quiet too, and it's not on a controller so it goes full tilt 24/7.

I use a Mod My Toys 5 fan hub. It's basically a small 5 fan hub that sits on the floor of my case and is powered by a molex connection. It's not speed controlled so my fans run 100% all the time. They aren't loud. They make no mechanical noise and cause no vibration on my case. All I can hear is a dull whoosh of flowing air.

5. Rat1sully

still slightly surprised at how quickly the cost racks up

6. Neogumbercules

Yeah that's very much true. To cut costs, plan out your exact tubing pathways and only buy the fittings you need. Also, go for normal flex tubing if you want to cut costs even more.

You can still get a perfectly fine looking build out of flex tubing.

This is my current build which I have recently finished!

[​IMG]

Oh this reminds me, make sure your radiators come with mounting screws for your fans. They might not even come with mounting screws for your case so be aware of that. I don't remember what screws are used, but just check the specifications for your radiator and it should say what kind of screws are needed.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2014
  7. Rat1sully

I'm fairly happy with the relative costs of everything just got to get past the what else could I spend the money on thoughts and never tell the other half how much it cost lol

8. Rat1sully

So after a delay due to changing jobs I finally got around to ordering the bulk of the components and the water cooling components, I feel like I've forgotten something hopefully nothing too important

I'll create a build log once it all arrives and I get started, I suspect progress will be slow

9. Neogumbercules

Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!

10. Rat1sully

Jesus this seems like a long time ago now. Erm so it's happening just really slowly for various reasons but I don't have time to blog each bit of the build so I'll throw together a build report when I'm done