1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films For those of you looking forward to Avatar...

Discussion in 'General' started by johnnyboy700, 4 Nov 2009.

1. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Woo booked my tickets to see it tomorrow (3D @ Bluewater), hope you guys are right about it being worth it - the tickets cost an absolute fortune - £22 for 2. That's by far the most I've ever paid for cinema tickets.

2. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

With the bus, popcorn and ticket going to see it cost me pretty much £15. But I still think it was worth it.

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Paid £8/Ticket at my local VUE for 3D but that was a 9am showing on 23rd Dec.
    Really enjoyed and and finally surprised that something was as good as the hype made it out to be!

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Also paid £8 for the late showing on a Monday night at VUE (although apparently the aircon malfunctioned, so they refunded the tickets). The dialogue kinda sucked, and the plot's generally just a bit Dances With Wolves etc etc, but the visuals and the alien world are just spectacular. Definitely worth the experience.

5. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

Thought the movie was all around amazing, I love it when a movie is that stunning visually because it really pulls me in. I'm going again next weekend :thumb:

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Seen this in 3D. I liked it. (It was like Dances with wolves meets GI Joe meets Final Fantasy) What surprised me was when people started to clap at the end of the flick. Me my sis and mom are going to go see it again tomorrow. The 3D was well worth the $12. I can forsee the 3D stuff becoming the next gen thing, it really is neat and really drags you into the world they create.

7. SNiiPE_DoGG

only thing that irks me about 3D is the drop in picture quality (I can wait for the bluray to watch it in true high def on my 55" samsung lcd) but I do agree that the level of immersion achieved by having the entire film in 3d is great.

8. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

yeah your too busy drawing right :p :rock::rock::rock:

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I still can't quite get past the unoriginality of the storyline in this film. In every way it's perfectly competent, but the fact that there is absolutely nothing original in it has to count against it - I just feel films shouldn't be able to get away with not bringing anything new. I suppose Cameron has kind of earned the right to borrow (and most of the stylistic borrowing he does is from another of his own films, Aliens, so...hm, yeah, fair enough) but the story is just...so unoriginal.

I mean, really? A military man getting involved in an indigenous race of Noble Savages, converting to their ways, getting the hots for one of their women, and ultimately fighting alongside them against the evil empirical/capitalist/militant forces that are attacking them for natural resources. I don't mind borrowed ideas, but this **** has been done letter for letter in The Last Samurai, which in turn stole it letter for letter from Dances With Wolves, which in turn was only really stating in a painfully obvious and patronising way what any historian could tell you in five seconds - that the Native Americans had a hard time and that the colonial settlers treated them horribly and that it was wrong.

My irk is that Avatar plays this message straight, treating it like it's something we didn't know already and need to be taught, like we're morally ignorant high-bred Westerners. Doesn't anybody feel this film would have been vastly improved by the omission of some of the moral-point-hammering?

10. SNiiPE_DoGG

You've made a good point and I agree - I cringed every time they said "...and the sky people ruined their planet" or "go back to your ruined planet sky people" - however I dont mind the storyline borrowing so much because the last time I saw dances with wolves I was about 10 years old and I've never seen the last samurai.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  11. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

People are raging about this in the new meeting place. Yes, the story is unoriginal. However, the way it's presently is so beautifully stunning, I don't mind. That's the point of cinema in my view - it's a complete experience. Not just a story.

12. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Saw this last night and:

Wow.

Just got back from seeing it in 3D in the biggest and best local screen (Bluewater, just outside of London). Definitely worth it - it looked incredible on the big screen. The graphics were stunning and I couldn't tell what was CGI and what wasn't. Suprisingly, despite most comments on the internet, I actually quite liked the story too.

Definitely a film to see in the cinema, it won't come close even on Blu-Ray. 5/5 from me, best film I'm seen in 2009 at the least. :)

P.S. Did anyone else have trouble focusing on the screen? I found the images quite blurry sometimes, particularly with on-screen motion.

13. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

+1. The slightly weak plot was apparent about 15 minutes in, but by the end I can honestly say I didn't care.

It's just lazy criticism really. If I look hard I can see the influences and borrowings from other films in pretty much every film I see; very few films are truly original nowadays. So why should this one be criticised for doing it better than the vast majority?

14. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

Oh yah, and the reason sections were blurry was they were trying to force your attention at the point in 'space' that was important (i.e. usually the whoever was talking/doing something). That really irritated me as there was so much in the way of gorgeous settings and such but you couldn't freaking focus on half of it! :(

Also, in my personal opinion NOTHING SHOULD FLOAT IN FRONT OF THE SCREEN, makes my eyes hurt.

And I also must say that if you're going to make a movie in 3D, make the whole damn thing in 3D, not half of the scene 3D which the rest is a crisp 2D render around/behind it.

Also I suspect that some of the blurriness was due to the screen not perfectly reflecting the polarized light.

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

]

Thank you!

Finally....

16. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Guess you won't be buying the DVD / Bluray (or is that 'Blue' ray?) then, as the furries will love it:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/12/navi-sex-scene/

:lol:

boiled_elephant likes this.
  17. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

18. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Yeah it was decent - superb visuals and setting etc, but holy **** the plot blows. Far too predictable and TOO many one liners that made me grind my teeth. Won't rush to see it again.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

THIS.

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

We will fight terror with terror!

I'm just going to shout this at anyone who tries to defend the movie on its script and plot grounds.

edit - but that sex scene doesn't really sound so bad, since it's not much of a sex scene at all. If I understood correctly, they basically just braid each other's hair together. That's not exactly Maxx Hardcore.

edit^2:
    I actually agree with that completely, that's why I still recommend the film to people even though the plot's a bit of a cockslap-in-the-face. It does have a lot to offer as a purely visual experience. I mean, I think it's significant (and commendable) that Empire, I think it was, gave the 2D version four stars and the 3D version five.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2010