1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Free (or really cheap) parking in Edinburgh

Discussion in 'General' started by Wakka, 15 Aug 2019.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So we're off to the Fringe festival this weekend (grudgingly on my part...) - We have to drive, because we're taking baby, but we're a bit stuck with what we do with the car once we get there.

We literally only need it for the journey there and back (we're staying a 5 minute walk from the performance venue, so no need for it during the week), so if anyone has any local knowledge of somewhere cheap, or free, that even requires a 45-60 min walk, I can drop the humans and bags off, park the car and take a walk back.

I saw there is a park and ride fairly close to Edinburgh, but i'm not sure if I can leave the car there for a full week??

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I stay about a hour from Edinburgh, but almost always get the train in. If you're there for a while, could you not drive to a nearby train station outside Edinburgh and leave it round there? There's a few multi storey car parks in the city but I think they'll drain your wallet quicker than you can open it. There are a few park and rides, but I'd be uneasy about parking there too long (unless anyone knows different). There's the airport parking, which would do longer term, but I don't know the rates. You can get the tram in from there though. Are you staying in the centre?

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

We're staying in the city centre, yeah. It looks like parking is free at Shawfair (will need to call to confirm, I guess), which is only a 20 minute train ride that costs all of £3.60 each way. That could work!

4. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Used the bus park and ride before, think it was pretty similarly priced

5. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Good that you're in the centre, should be a good experience, if you have the little one just watch the crowds, as it's very busy everywhere. It's hard to beat Edinburgh in good weather though, and plenty places to pop into off the main tourist bits. Most shows are within reasonable distance too.

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Use the Hermiston Gate park and ride, the 25 bus into town takes about 20 minutes. You can leave the car there overnight for upto 3 nights.

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/hermiston

Ninja edit: Just read you are there for the week so that could be an issue

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So just to update, we were there Sunday to Sunday, and because we only needed the car for the get-in and get-out (we were carrying the show props as well as our own stuff), I managed to blag parking spaces very close to our accommodation both days for free because all the pay & display parking runs Mon-Sat :D

During the week I just drove it out of the city centre and left it on some standard on-street parking less than 2 miles away - the walk to/from was through Holyrood Park, so was a nice break from the carnage of the Royal Mile every day in between...

adidan likes this.
  8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah from what I remember of the Fringe you really have to come up for air once in a while before you dive back in. :happy:

9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Yep - Especially when the company you're there with is a group of 12-13 girls aged between 12 and 18...

Made me appreciate how easy the day job is now i'm back!

adidan likes this.